Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-text-path-selection not working
I tried to use ofn-text-path-selection today at work today and it did nothing. After testing it on multiple paths I noticed it would work on some simple single letter paths, partially work on some paths that did not overlap, and did nothing on the path I have that overlaps in many places.

My work machine is a Windows computer and I just updated it recently. I've never had a single problem using this plugin on my Linux machine at home, but not sure if I've ever actually used this script before here at work. I will try this same file at home tonight to see if there is a difference.

I've created and attached an xcf with the path I'm having an issue with.

Thanks!

Windows 10: 21H2 19044.1586
GIMP: 2.10.30
ofn-text-path-selection: v0.0: 2020-05-14: Initial version

Attached Files
.xcf   ofn-text-path-selection.xcf (Size: 26.88 KB / Downloads: 200)
Hi akovia,

Here are my results, from top to bottom:
Using ofn-text-path-selection;
Not using ofn-text-path-selection;
Original text.

Comparing the results there is no doubt that the plugin did an excellent job.

The question is trying to find out why you are not getting the correct result.
Maybe I'll try it with the curved text and see if that would interfere with the result or not.

BTW - There's an honorable mention for you in the documentation for this plugin:

Quote:"Thanks
Many thanks to Akovia for the incentive and the text/test cases from an unfathomable font collection."

Even "curved" the text had no problem with the plugin.

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Using Ofnuts path edits plugin

The paths forming the text are all open.
Close the paths and the text-path-selection will work. (that is Ofnuts path edits > join strokes)

(04-03-2022, 08:16 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The paths forming the text are all open.
Close the paths and the text-path-selection will work. (that is Ofnuts path edits  > join strokes)

That was the problem. 
In all the times I've used this plugin, I've never once not had it work perfectly, so it really took me by surprise.
Thanks so much!

(04-03-2022, 01:13 AM)Krikor Wrote: The question is trying to find out why you are not getting the correct result.

BTW - There's an honorable mention for you in the documentation for this plugin:

I think the question is how you were getting the correct result.  Big Grin
I had the same issue on my home machine, so it's interesting that it worked for you. Maybe @rich2005 can figure that enigma out.

As for the mention, I remember it well. This was not a trivial plugin to write and it has saved me so much time. I maintain that that this functionality should be built into the core. No sane person would think the default behavior would be acceptable, but they would just reply that gimp is not a vector program. :\

Many continued thanks to ofnuts for all the scripts he has helped me with over the years.  
Directly or indirectly he has helped me with:
  • ofn-preset-guides
  • ofn-text-path-selection
  • ofn-remove-tangents
  • ofn-fit-canvas-to-path
  • ofn-paths-to-selection (all visible paths to selection)
  • ofn-path-edits (specifically - break text path apart)
and of course a special thanks to @rich2005 for tirelessly providing expert advice anyone in need. (and some plugins as well)
(04-03-2022, 01:55 PM)akovia Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 01:13 AM)Krikor Wrote: The question is trying to find out why you are not getting the correct result.

I think the question is how you were getting the correct result.  Big Grin
I had the same issue on my home machine, so it's interesting that it worked for you. Maybe @rich2005 can figure that enigma out.

Looks like we have a little conundrum here.

It seems to me that rich2005 has already solved the issue; as far as making the plugin work with the path.

It remains to be seen why this happened (how this open path was created).

My previous post was posted this morning, around 3 am here, and I shouldn't have been lucid enough to realize that I should have tried exclusively on the path of your attached .xcf, and not on a font similar to the one you used.

So that was my mistake.
My results were obtained in the paths generated by a font similar to the one used in your xcf.  Blush

Today, I tried particularly on your xcf font and was not successful. The plugin just didn't manifest.

Following the solution given by rich2005, the plugin worked perfectly!

However, how did you manage to create those open paths?

I tried to recreate this, I tried to open the paths (that is Ofnuts path edits > disjoin strokes).
But it looks like it just reversed the strokes. The paths remained closed.

Maybe the problem is in the way you created the path from the text. (I don't think the font itself could be the problem).

But this is beyond my noobs knowledge.

Possibly rich2005 or Ofnuts will soon be unraveling this mystery.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Can't tell why the strokes are open, but indeed the code only considers closed strokes.
@Krikor
I didn't realize you used a different font. I never thought to add the original font as I thought the issue was with the plugin and not the font.

In any case, the font was unmolested by me in any way. I just used the standard Text to Path function. I can post the name of the font when I'm back at work if anyone is interested, or post the font itself if it  turns out to be a free font which is my suspicion, but the mystery is solved as far as I'm concerned.

It was most likely a font made not by a large font house, but by an amateur that didn't know or bother to close the strokes. It renders fine when used as a font, so it may have never been a consideration.

I doubt this will be something I encounter again, but now I know how to handle it if I do.

Cheers!