Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-tiles
Thread to support my ofn-tiles script. Its purpose is to make it easy to edit separate images as one by loading them all as "tiles" in a single layer, and exporting them back to individual files when done.

ofn-tiles is here.

As usual, the ZIP contains an HTML doc.
I have one remark on the 'export tiles' script. If I export a few tiles then everything seems to be right. The script saves the different photos in the chosen folder and when I look at the photos with a viewer, then I see the separate photos I worked on. When I look with the windows explorer at the directory with the photos I worked on, the preview set on 'big pictorgrams', then the pictogram shows all the photos I worked on in a session. A bug ? 

On the left one of the four photos I worked on, on the right the preview icon. When I click on the right icon, I see one photo I worked on (and that is ok)
What did you input in the dialog, and how many files did it generate?
File/Export Tiles/Export tiles (by rows and colums)

And you got 4 files, named 01-01.jpg, 02-01.jpg, 03-01.jpg and 04-01.jpg?
(03-25-2020, 05:10 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What did you input in the dialog, and how many files did it generate?

yes

Yes, 4 files and the photos are ok

An overview, the xxxxx ccc.jpg files are the generated files (I renamed them afterwards)

If the problem is only in the thumbnail then the "problem" is not with Gimp or the script, but with whatever generates the thumbnail. Note that it can be a design decision in the thumbnil creation to squish the picture laterally to give it more or less the same aspect ratio than the rest. The purpose of thumbnails are not to check the picture, but to locate it...
I don't know how the script saves the different photos as a part of graphic memory (part of the 4 photos in my case) or some offset in gimp that is pointing to a specific part of the graphic memory, then I think (I could be wrong) it is normal that the thumbnail of the four photos is included in the different photos : the four photos are merged to one big photo, so Gimp only know the 4 photos as one photo, so one thumbnail. As you mentioned, the thumbnail is somewhere included in the file (photo). On the internet there is some information about it how one can find on from what adress the thumbnail is to find. Very complicated to change the tumbnail this way. With the Exif Pilot I've looked at the thumbnail exif infomation but it don't give a sollution. Because I agree with you that the 'wrong' thumbnail is included somewhere in the file, I searched for a way to place the right thumbnail in the photos. On the XnView forum, I found a sollution. The thumbnails can be rebuild in .jpg files ( sorry I use the Dutch version, that's my common language:  

OK, get it. IMHO this s a Gimp bug that I will investigate and report.

A work-around it to no save the thumbnail. The script exports the images with the current default for the format (you can notice that the script is not asking you about the JPEG quality either) so you just have to change the defaults: File>Export as..., set the export parameters and click Save defaults.