Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
only transparency on extended canvas
hi guys,
I'm adding a canvas extension to the bottom of  a group of images. I want the extension to be black so I can add white text to the extended canvas. I set my background color to black, extend the bottom of the canvas after adjusting the offset (resize layers set to NONE). I've done this many times before and the extended canvas strip is black, but today I have only been able to fill with transparency, no other Fill Canvas option works.
I'm running 2.10.4 on Windows 10 (if that matters) and have made no changes to my Gimp installation since the last time I used this "title bar" operation on other images... any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Are you really using Gimp 2.10.4 - that is very old, the current is 2.10.28

However, difficult to say without you actual layers set-up. Do you have a layer with an extended boundary ? Can come from cropping in image.
Maybe a change in work flow (or adapt to your circumstances)
Make the bottom layer active
Image -> Fit canvas to layers (to remove any extended boundary)
Toggle visibility off for all except base layer. If you have lots of layers, the shift key will toggle all on/off
Image -> Canvas Size with
Set increased height
Resize - All visible layers
Fill with: Foreground Colour (set to black)
Toggle layer visibility back on.

40 second demo of that https://i.imgur.com/GgWERhC.mp4

Post a screenshot of the whole Gimp interface for a better answer.
(12-05-2021, 09:18 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Are you really using Gimp 2.10.4 - that is very old, the current is 2.10.28

*****snipped the whole quote**********

40 second demo of that https://i.imgur.com/GgWERhC.mp4

Post a screenshot of the whole Gimp interface for a better answer.
This is to all who post. Don't just post a quote and nothing else, it is really annoying
...and I am old-school when you do quote just quote the relevant bits ;Wink... 
-- 
rich

Thanks for your quick reply Rich! - BTW, sorry for typo, I'm running Gimp 2.10.24
The images I wish  to apply the bottom black band to are processed through darktable (3.6.0.1) as .jpg at full size (20MP Nikon D73500)
The images have only one layer, most of my editing is done in dt
my process for each image is:
1> resize image from imported size to 930x1350 (portrait) or 2120x1350 (landscape)
2> go to IMAGE>CANVAS SIZE, increase canvas by 50PX at bottom edge, set canvas color to BACKGROUND COLOR (set to Black)
3> Previously, this would result in a 50PX BLACK band appearing at the bottom of the image (now 1400PX tall)
4> Yesterday, this band started to show only transparency (my temporary work-around is to create a new layer - [set to Black Background], move it to bottom and enter my title and         date in White type)

IF it is relevant, in Preferences:
CANVAS SIZE DIALOG> Fill with BACKGROUND COLOR / Resize Layers NONE (this setting is being ignored, canvas extension is Transparent)
NEW LAYER DIALOG> Layer Name BLANK / Fill Type BACKGROUND COLOR (this background color is applied as one would expect)

The workaround isn't a problem, but I can't figure out WHY the program no longer applies the background color to the resized canvas area. I've gone through all of my preferences and don't see any other options that may cause this change, and I had not made any changes in preferences.
The only system changes/updates made prior to the change  in behavior was a Windows update, but it's hard to imagine that that has only effected this one small change in Gimp's behavior...
Looking forward to any insights you might have,
Thanks for your suggestions, but most didn't seem to apply to my problem.  I did check into the possible canvas boundary suggestion, but that wasn't an issue...
Barry
I all looks very straight forward

Quote:CANVAS SIZE DIALOG> Fill with BACKGROUND COLOR / Resize Layers NONE (this setting is being ignored, canvas extension is Transparent)

If you set Resize layers to NONE then the layer boundary remains as original, Nothing to fill, until you add that new canvas size layer. You do need All Layers even with a single layer.

This a comparison https://i.imgur.com/DJD0PBs.mp4 first with None then All Layers. Note the layer boundary - yellow dashed lines (I marked with a guide).