Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
open pdf so that pages are layers and order of layers is reversed order of pages
From time to time I use GIMP 2.10.8 for creating animated .gif-files from .pdf files so that when viewing the .gif-file every two seconds another page of the document is visible.

When importing the .pdf-file and hereby selecting "Open pages as layers" each page of the .pdf-file is a layer on its own.

The problem is:

Assume the .pdf-file has n pages.

After importing:

Layer 1 has name "1" and shows page 1 of the document.
Layer 2 has name "2" and shows page 2 the document.
Layer n-1 has name "n-1" and shows page n - 1 of the document.
Layer n has name "n" and shows page n of the document.

When exporting this as .gif-file, then the animation starts with page n of the document and ends with page 1 of the document.
I. e., the animation shows the pages of the document in reversed order.

Thus, for the .gif-animation to begin with page 1 of the document and to end with page n of the document, reversing the layer order before exporting is needed.

By now, after importing the .pdf-file,  I click "Layer" - "Stack" - "Reverse Layer Order" and I get:

Layer 1 has name "n" and shows page n of the document.
Layer 2 has name "n-1" and shows page n - 1 of the document.
Layer n-1 has name "2" and shows page 2 the document.
Layer n has name "1" and shows page 1 of the document.

When exporting this as .gif-file, then the animation starts with page 1 of the document and ends with page n of the document.

Question:

Is there a possibility to have the layer order reversed automatically at the time of importing the .pdf-file, without the need of doing so much clicking?
(09-06-2023, 06:59 PM)Cattleya Wrote: From time to time I use GIMP 2.10.8 for creating animated .gif-files from .pdf files so that when viewing the .gif-file every 
.....snip....
Question: Is there a possibility to have the layer order reversed automatically at the time of importing the .pdf-file, without the need of doing so much clicking?

The best way is to upgrade from Gimp 2.10.8 to the latest 2.10.34  I am not sure when the reverse page order option came in but it has been there for a while. Had to dig out a 2.10.8 appimage to check

Otherwise, reverse the page order before opening in Gimp
The usual utility is PDFtk see; https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/ command line pdftk myfile.pdf cat end-1 output myfilereversed.pdf
or there are on-line utilities such as https://pdfux.com/reverse-pages-pdf/
(09-06-2023, 08:41 PM)rich2005 Wrote: [...]I am not sure when the reverse page order option came in but it has been there for a while. [...]

This option is already present in version 2.10.28 :-)
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.