Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"paper cut" authentication
Hi All
Ive only been using Gimp for a few weeks so Im a relative noob.

I am trying to print to a networked printer managed centrally by Paper-Cut. When I try to print an .xcf file it gets put on hold awaiting authentication. There is no way to resume printing and authenticate. (Which is the usual process)
When exporting the same file to .png and printing there is no problem. It uses my prev' saved authentication credentials and it prints out fine.
Q1. Is it the file type and Paper Cut doesn't know what to do with it?
Q2. Is there any print resolution advantage in printing directly from Gimp instead of .png?

Cheers

Rob
Welcome to gimp-forum.net

I do not know 'papercut' except what I just looked up - printer management & tracking to discourage you printing off 1000's of your own posters Wink

You are using OSX. Are you trying to print directly from Gimp ie. File -> Print or is some sort of drag-n-wish, a file into some sort of icon to sent to the printer.

Quote:Q1. Is it the file type and Paper Cut doesn't know what to do with it?

I think you have that spot on. Gimps own .xcf format is very much a 'your-work-in-progress' format aimed at preventing loss of work. All layers are saved as well as masks, paths, guides etc. Very few applications will even view a .xcf file.

Quote:Q2. Is there any print resolution advantage in printing directly from Gimp instead of .png?

There is no advantage either way except convenience. In linux I print straight from Gimp using the gutenprint plugin. The printer is set up as a postscript device. So it is not .xcf, png or tiff being sent.

I could export to a png, jpg or tiff. Then use some other application (PaperCut?) to print.
Which format to use. a png file is lossless, it is one layer, the same as a flattened .xcf file.
(08-24-2017, 06:57 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Welcome to gimp-forum.net

I do not know 'papercut' except what I just looked up - printer management & tracking to discourage you printing off 1000's of your own posters Wink

You are using OSX. Are you trying to print directly from Gimp ie. File -> Print or is some sort of drag-n-wish, a file into some sort of icon to sent to the printer.

I think you have that spot on. Gimps own .xcf format is very much a 'your-work-in-progress' format aimed at preventing loss of work. All layers are saved as well as masks, paths, guides etc. Very few applications will even view a .xcf file.

Quote:Q2. Is there any print resolution advantage in printing directly from Gimp instead of .png?

There is no advantage either way except convenience. In linux I print straight from Gimp using the gutenprint plugin. The printer is set up as a postscript device. So it is not .xcf, png or tiff being sent.

I could export to a png, jpg or tiff. Then use some other application (PaperCut?) to print.
Which format to use. a png file is lossless, it is one layer, the same as a flattened .xcf file.

(09-16-2017, 11:50 AM)RobMW Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 06:57 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Welcome to gimp-forum.net

Thanks for your reply Rich.
I have used plan B, print to a non-papercut controlled network printer and it worked fine directly from GIMP.
Cheers
Rob