Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
patterns
Hi
I am having trouble saving patterns i have made, i have read a lot of post of how other people fixed their problem but nothing seems to work, funny thing is i saved one and it worked then i tried to save another and now neither work. When i try to save i have to click all these in order to get to the patterns folder
Saving: Local disk gimp 2 share gimp 2.0 patterns
i have also clicked and selected show hidden folders
i have refreshed and restarted gimp
but the patterns still dont show on the dialog box however they are in the patterns folder i have also tried to put them into a new folder and not even that works
Have a look in Gimp > File > Open Recent.

Gimp never fails to find and open a file provided it is told where to find it. That's been my experience.
(08-12-2023, 10:22 PM)ibohme Wrote: I am having trouble saving patterns i have made, i have read a lot of post of how other people fixed their problem but nothing seems to work, funny thing is i saved one and it worked then i tried to save another and now neither work. When i try to save i have to click all these in order to get to the patterns folder
Saving: Local disk gimp 2 share gimp 2.0 patterns

For a regular Gimp installation the place for your patterns is your User profile
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes and yes that is a hidden folder
Local disk gimp 2 share gimp 2.0 patterns looks like that is your system folder, supposed to be read only but who knows with Windows.

You can get there from Gimp. Worth a try until you are more confident about placing files.
Your pattern, as well as a .pat file can be .png or .jpg
Export that to a folder (my example is Pictures)
In Gimp Edit -> Preferences -> Folders (expand using the +) -> Patterns
Click in that and you see the paths to the patterns folders. Use your profile. Click to highlight
Top of the window are two icons to take you to that location. Use the right-hand one.
That opens Windows explorer at the correct location.
Find the other (Pictures) folder and right-click to open as a new window.
Click-n-drag the pattern file into the patterns folder.
Close Explorer down. Close Preferences down.
Bottom of the Patterns dock, there is a little icon to refresh the patterns. Click on that and you should get the pattern in the dock. Not always at the top, depends on the file name.

This a demo animation. https://i.imgur.com/pnlVPqh.mp4 A bit quick, 60 seconds for imgur.

That should at least show where the file goes, and you should be able to export directly there for future patterns.

Quote:i have also clicked and selected show hidden folders
i have refreshed and restarted gimp
but the patterns still dont show on the dialog box however they are in the patterns folder i have also tried to put them into a new folder and not even that works

You can indeed make a new easier to find patterns folder, that is what I do, you need to add that path to the list in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> Patterns but that is another story, first things first.