Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
photo stitch
How do I avoid having a line where I combined 2 scanned photos?
LynneR
(03-04-2023, 11:10 PM)artbylmr@gmail.com Wrote: How do I avoid having a line where I combined 2 scanned photos?
LynneR

Depends what you have.
Are they overlapping, with an area that matches ? To make a panorama ?

You add a layer mask, then apply a gradient to fade in the overlapping edge.

or
Are they just two separate photos that you want to 'butt' together ? Which might be photos of adjacent pages of a book or magazine
Thanks for the reply. I it is an overlapping edge to make a panorama. I am not really familiar with mask layers and how to use them, but I will try to figure it out.

Where you show the dotted line a line shows up once I merge layers.
The dotted lines only show up inside Gimp, not in your finished image. Generally they mark a layer boundary but there are others showing selections for example. You can turn them off from the view menu but my advice is leave them showing.

To save a lot of writing this is a 2 and a half minute demo. https://youtu.be/XJ7MR05ieA8  you might get some hints from it. There must be any number of youtube videos around on the subject. Do not worry about my Gimp layout - like that so easy to see in a video. Make sure you know where the layers dock is and the toolbox / tool options.

This is using two well matched images. If your two photos have different lighting to match or the scale is different then it can be much more complicated.
Thank you, Rich! I will give it a try.