Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suddenly, Most of My Fonts Aren't Being Shown Correctly
Hi Guys,

For some reason, just a few of the fonts in GIMP are being displayed correctly. The rest are being shown without any style (no serifs nor cursive features). So far, I've tried:
  • closing and reopening GIMP
  • shutting down the computer completely and then turning it back on (instead of just restarting it)
  • uninstalling the version of GIMP I was using (2.10.2) and installing 2.10.6
None of the preceding worked. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.
Your font cache could be damaged. Erase the font cache, see https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Window...workaround
All a bit of clutching-at-straws here.

Reinstalling Gimp vary rarely fixes a problem, although in this case upgrading to Gimp 2.10.6 is worthwhile.
More often it is a setting in the Gimp profile, which remains between versions. You could, as a general first thing to try, rename it (to disable) and start Gimp to make a new default clean Gimp profile.

But first a question. Is the text in existing documents and is the font used in those documents still available?

If a font is missing, try and edit a text layer and the default (usually sans) is used as a replacement.

Do the fonts display correctly in other applications?

It could be that the Gimp font cache is corrupt, try deleting it forcing Gimp to re-read the available fonts.

This is for slow loading but shows what to look for with Gimp 2.10 https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Window...workaround

ninja'd by ofnuts
(10-28-2018, 07:50 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Your font cache could be damaged. Erase the font cache, see https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Window...workaround

(10-28-2018, 07:52 PM)rich2005 Wrote: All a bit of clutching-at-straws here.

Reinstalling Gimp vary rarely fixes a problem, although in this case upgrading to Gimp 2.10.6 is worthwhile.
More often it is a setting in the Gimp profile, which remains between versions. You could, as a general first thing to try, rename it (to disable) and start Gimp to make a new default clean Gimp profile.

But first a question. Is the text in existing documents and is the font used in those documents still available?

If a font is missing, try and edit a text layer and the default (usually sans) is used as a replacement.

Do the fonts display correctly in other applications?

It could be that the Gimp font cache is corrupt, try deleting it forcing Gimp to re-read the available fonts.

This is for slow loading but shows what to look for with Gimp 2.10  https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Window...workaround

ninja'd by ofnuts

Thanks, but unfortunately this didn't work. Not even moving all of the files out of that cache folder helped. However, I just noticed that the issue is only affecting fonts whose names end with weight=101. For instance, all of the following fonts are affected:

ABIGAIL weight=101
ABRACADABRA weight=101
ACTION weight=101

I also notice that in the fonts folder (... Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Fonts), Medium is used instead of weight=101:

ABIGAIL Medium
ABRACADABRA Medium
ACTION Medium

[Image: IukpowR.png]

From what I can tell, only GIMP is exhibiting the problem. All other programs on the computer are displaying the fonts okay:

[Image: bM36Nu8.png]

Hopefully this provides a clue as to what's causing the issue.

Thanks again.
Quote:..the issue is only affecting fonts whose names end with weight=101...
I think that is going to be difficult to solve.

Looking at the situation before updating to Gimp 2.10.6.

The fonts were working. Then the fonts do not work. What changed?
Not Gimp, so you need to look at any Windows updates or additional software installed. Something interfering with Gimp.

Then there is the form of the font name as it appears in Gimp. I have never come across anything like FONTNAME weight = 101. Although I do have a font 'family' that refers to the weight in the font name.

Are these regular ttf or otf fonts installed in the Windows fonts folder? I could not find those as free fonts. Assuming they are commercial and not able to give them a try-out, or are they from some service such as Typekit?

If I had this problem, I would change the internal font name using FontForge (No good just renaming the font file). Put the font in the Gimp fonts folder (where most decorative fonts should be anyway) and check if working.
(10-29-2018, 09:12 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:..the issue is only affecting fonts whose names end with weight=101...
I think that is going to be difficult to solve.

Looking at the situation before updating to Gimp 2.10.6.

The fonts were working. Then the fonts do not work. What changed?
Not Gimp, so you need to look at any Windows updates or additional software installed. Something interfering with Gimp.

Then there is the form of the font name as it appears in Gimp. I have never come across anything like FONTNAME weight = 101. Although I do have a font 'family' that refers to the weight in the font name.

Are these regular ttf or otf fonts installed in the Windows fonts folder? I could not find those as free fonts. Assuming they are commercial and not able to give them a try-out, or are they from some service such as Typekit?

If I had this problem, I would change the internal font name using FontForge (No good just renaming the font file). Put the font in the Gimp fonts folder (where most decorative fonts should be anyway) and check if working.

Hello! Just view this post--these last days, Gimp has begun to append weight = 101 to some of my fonts, as shown:

However:
- Yesterday,  weight = 101 appeared in the name of some installed (windows) fonts (MSwhatever  weight = 101 )
- Today, it has disappeared there, and only persists in some fonts in Gimp's fonts folder (not installed).
So, I suspect
- one of Windows updates of having messed up the fonts configuration
- a later one to have solved it, and that has corrected whatever messed fontconfig for that folder
- the chaged in names persists for Gimp's font folder, but as it doesn't seem to affect the rendering of the fonts in question, I am ready to wait for a further run of fontconfig to mend that bit of trouble...
Hope this helps.