Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
png Borders
Hi.  I'm brand new to GIMP and am pretty deep into a project.  I just realized that I've got a problem that occured about 40(!) exports ago (I'm saving each step individually) and I really don't want to have to go back to where it first happened.  I'm operating with an image saved as .png, and realized that at some point I moved the original layer when I meant to move a new one.  It was exported this way, and now has the grey checkered background on the left and top sides.  If I move it around the whole image seems to still be there, but I can't get it recentered.  I've tried the alignment tool, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  Here's a picture (not the one I'm working with since it's private at the moment), showing my problem in case I'm not describing it correctly.  Does anyone know what to do?

uh...it doesn't have the background. Does that mean my original image won't when I post it?

Attached Files Image(s)

The checker pattern denotes transparency. Just exists inside Gimp.  Sometime in the past you increased the canvas size or cropped-with-growing or ...several different ways. Exporting as a png image retains transparency, (aka alpha channel) If you export in some formats there is no transparency and the border uses the background colour, typically white. Happens with a jpeg export.

To get rid of the border use Image -> Zealous crop. 
If that does not work (sometimes does not) then one way is Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to selection then Edit -> Copy and Edit -> Paste as New image. Export the new image.
If you have a steady hand, use the crop tool with just "Delete cropped pixels" enabled. and crop out a smaller image.
(12-08-2021, 08:53 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The checker pattern denotes transparency. Just exists inside Gimp.  Sometime in the past you increased the canvas size or cropped-with-growing or ...several different ways. Exporting as a png image retains transparency, (aka alpha channel) If you export in some formats there is no transparency and the border uses the background colour, typically white. Happens with a jpeg export.

To get rid of the border use Image -> Zealous crop. 
If that does not work (sometimes does not) then one way is Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to selection then Edit -> Copy and Edit -> Paste as New image. Export the new image.
If you have a steady hand, use the crop tool with just "Delete cropped pixels" enabled. and crop out a smaller image.

Thank for the response! I'll try it right now.