Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
print size and scaling
Hello to all,

I have downloaded the latest version and I am new to this area of scaling and print size. I follow the instructions but I am finding that on scaling screen I cannot make width and height different numbers I change one and it reflects in the other.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong or point me to a url that will have exact instructions on this.

I have attached screen shots of what I am seeing.

Gimp works with pixel dimensions, not real-world, as long as you remember that when you have inches or millimetres showing.

In the print size dialogue it shows how the image will be printed using the pixels-per-inch (ppi) parameters. It is an internal setting. Change the ppi and the size sent to the printer changes but otherwise the image remains the same.

Using the scale image dialogue the width and height values are normally linked together. You can break the link and set width and height separately. That will stretch or squash an image. The changes are reflected in the print size dialogue.

example of that: https://i.imgur.com/pJ44WTG.mp4

Are you sure that is what you require ? To change the aspect ratio of an image it is usual to crop, discarding parts of an image rather than squashing or stretching Wink
(03-30-2023, 02:14 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Gimp works with pixel dimensions, not real-world, as long as you remember that when you have inches or millimetres showing.

In the print size dialogue it shows how the image will be printed using the pixels-per-inch (ppi) parameters. It is an internal setting. Change the ppi and the size sent to the printer changes but otherwise the image remains the same.

Using the scale image dialogue the width and height values are normally linked together. You can break the link and set width and height separately. That will stretch or squash an image.  The changes are reflected in the print size dialogue.

example of that: https://i.imgur.com/pJ44WTG.mp4

Are you sure that is what you require ?  To change the aspect ratio of an image it is usual to crop, discarding parts of an image rather than squashing or stretching Wink

Thank you for your help

Thank you for your help

One more thing - that's my issue when I break link and try to set width/height separately it switched to same number and I need that to change to 2400/3000 and it will not do it.