Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP and AI
Seen this?

https://gitlab.com/pgicquel1/iselect-gimp-plugin
Come on now, you are supposed to tell us how good your referenced plugin works Wink

Well, tried it out in a Mint20 VM / Gimp 2.10.32 + appimage launcher (for python support)

Very like the GIMP-ML plugins, it is a monster. Over a GB of packages to download and install.

It does work **but** like all graphics depends on the image. Not being very fair with this one. Last Friday, a 30 year old TVR in the pub car park. Very busy background + assorted stuff in the way.

Left side the intelligent_select plugin. Not a great success.  Right side my trace with the paths tool to separate FG / BG

One strange line in the README  At the end of the section for installing python2 there is
sudo apt install gimp-plugin-registry 
Obviously I did not install this piece of ancient rubbish, love to know the reason.   Exclamation
I found it in an open issue on GIMP Gitlab. But was a bit confused about how to use it.

I did see GIMP ML as well. Looks like there are many options that are automatic Wink

I see that GIMP ML is currently set for 2.99.6.

Saw on Twitter that RC of 3.0 might me available soon.
Quote:I did see GIMP ML as well. Looks like there are many options that are automatic.

Automatic is great, until it does not work, then you have to fall back to the basic Gimp tools. Tracing round a shape is one basic skill worth developing. Keep practising. 
I have tried the python2 GIMP ML and it is not that great. The current version is for python3 

Quote:But was a bit confused about how to use it. (intelligent-select)

The use is dead simple, draw a selection rectangle around the area required. Apply the plugin...and you get what you are given
The confusing bit is the installation, needs a regular Gimp 2.10 (flatpak is no good) + a working gimp-python and a raft of dependencies, I will give you a clue, the attached is the terminal listing for the installation.

EDIT: Do not let me put you off. The plugin is actually not that bad at finding edges. It is also self-contained, hence the one GB size. Just me being old-fashioned and objecting to a plugin size greater than the Gimp installation.

Attached Files
.zip   install-plugin.txt.zip (Size: 10.4 KB / Downloads: 95)
Quote:But was a bit confused about how to use it.

I meant, not sure how to install it Smile

Thanks for testing it.

when I Googled, I got another thread on this forum by @ofnuts about GIMP ML. Unable to fine it now
Quote:I meant, not sure how to install it

I think one problem might be using a regular ubuntu and last time I inquired it was ubuntu 22.04 That does pose problems with Gimp and python. The old gimp-python packages no longer work, a flatpak Gimp is sandboxed although I have got a Gimp 2.10.22 appimage to work.

The procedure for intelligent_select is in the README in the package https://gitlab.com/pgicquel1/iselect-gim...master.zip
Unzip in your home folder rename to select-gimp-plugin and from the README
--------
Run installation.sh to install python2.7, pip and virtualenv

Then (to) create a venv named "gimp2env" and install the required python packages in it: (in a terminal)

python2 -m virtualenv gimp2env
source gimp2env/bin/activate
pip install -r requirements.txt
deactivate

--------
I used a Mint 20 (equivalent ubuntu 20.04) no idea if it works in ubuntu 22.04

In Gimp Preferences -> Folders Add the path ~/select-gimp-plugin/intelligent_select to the plugins paths.

If you get into difficulties PM me and I can give you a pre-made, but it is large, 600 MB zipped, unpacks to 1.7 GB. Crazy size for a plugin.

Quote:when I Googled, I got another thread on this forum by @ofnuts about GIMP ML. Unable to fine it now

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-GIMP-ML or https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Some-p...g-for-Gimp
Thanks. I will try to setup a VM.