Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
resizing an active layer
I have a minor problem. I have a group photograph that I'd like to frame. Unfortunately the photograph is in different proportions to the frame (It's wider in proportion to the height). In normal circumstances, I could crop to the correct proportion, but that would mean losing the people to the sides of the picture. Framing, as, is leaves an ugly band at top and bottom of the picture. In this case, a simple change is possible and easy, in principle. The foreground of the picture is grass. If I could add a blank area to the bottom of the picture, I could use the clone tool to extend the grass to the new bottom of the picture. It's sufficiently amorphous and out of focus, to add without any distinct addition. I've searched the manual, without success. I've a number of pictures which could be improved by such a solution, or variations of a solution.
Cheers

BTW, this is my first post to this forum, so, apologies in advance, if I've not done it 'by the book'
Quote:...snip...The foreground of the picture is grass. If I could add a blank area to the bottom of the picture, I could use the clone tool to extend the grass to the new bottom of the picture. It's sufficiently amorphous and out of focus, to add without any distinct addition....

To add some space to the image. 

(1) Often beneficial to add transparency to the image. Layers -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel
(2) Open Image -> Canvas Size and set the Height as required.
(3) If required move the image thumbnail to the top.
(4) Set Resize Layers to All Layers and click Resize

That might be enough for you.  

Another way, instead of the clone tool is make a selection and copy a strip (5) then paste back in as a new layer (6) 
(7) Move the pasted layer to suit, see if you can get a match. Sometimes differences in shading show up. Move the pasted layer to the bottom of the stack, and flip vertically (8) https://i.imgur.com/mZ9ehfO.jpg
Thanks. My version (2.8.14) doesn't have the particular tool that you's called up, though. I had increased the canvas size to somewhere near appropriate, but couldn't make the extra space an adjunct to the increased area. So I did the usual thing, pressed every button that seemed to have something to do with it, and, eventually I had something, where, if I applied a brush tool, it applied to the newly created area as well as the original.
So, I was in. The clone tool worked fine. I conjectured that simply pasting a strip of grass would show, since it would be identical in minor parts to that above. By shifting the clone focus, it added a random bit of the existing foreground, and it looks fine. I really must read my Gimp Bible, but it's so imposing a tome for my usual minor changes. It usually adds about two hours of reading to ten minutes of work!

Cheers, Rod Goslin
(11-13-2019, 11:48 PM)Argos Wrote: Thanks. My version (2.8.14) doesn't have the particular tool that you's called up, though.

All the things mentioned in Rich's post are available in 2.8....
Well, I searched quite diligently and could not find an option labelled 'Set Image Canvas Size'. I shall just have to go back and RTFM. But whatever I did, did achieve the required goal, but I'm sure I don't know how. So the Gimp Bible might be the answer.

Rod
(11-14-2019, 11:31 AM)Argos Wrote: Well, I searched quite diligently and could not find an option labelled 'Set Image Canvas Size'. I shall just have to go back and RTFM. But whatever I did, did achieve the required goal, but I'm sure I don't know how. So the Gimp Bible might be the answer.

Rod

Just for the record, the post was done in a linux 2.8 Gimp, all screenshots Gimp 2.8

Maybe not familiar with forum conventions where the box reference refers to a menu entry ie.

(2) Open Image -> Canvas Size and set the Height as required.

As with most Gimp there are any number of ways to get a result.

Gimp Bible ? - ancient 
There is a PDF of the Gimp help here http://gimp.linux.it/www/meta/ both Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.10  Runs to about a 1000 pages but has an index and is searchable.
(11-14-2019, 11:31 AM)Argos Wrote: Well, I searched quite diligently and could not find an option labelled 'Set Image Canvas Size'.

Image > Canvas Size