Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
save a picture: external hard drive not detected
Hello, I am a new gimp user.
I am using a mac os sonoma, on a mac min.
I can only download gimp 2.10.34.
When I want save a folder, my external drive is not visible
I have an external hard drive with X fat
Gimp have autorisation to use all folder.

Thanks you for your attention.
One problem is there are few regular MacOS users on this forum. They come, post a question, never seen again.

Quote:I am using a mac os sonoma, on a mac min.  I can only download gimp 2.10.34.

Gimp 2.10.34 is the latest 'production' version. Any problem with it, report to the Gimp developers https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

Quote:When I want save a folder, my external drive is not visible I have an external hard drive with X fat

Is external drive visible using your File browser (is that finder in MacOS ?) If it is visible can you create a folder using the file browser ?

If the drive is not visible in your file browser, then probably not mounted. Can you mount an external drive ?

Quote:Gimp have autorisation to use all folder.

..As well as Gimp permissions, does the external drive have the required permissions for read / write user access ?

---

As it happens, I just got a new external SSD today and I certainly had to set user read / write permissions as well as set up an auto-mount for when plugged in. Of course I use linux rather than MacOS so there will be differences.

Edit: I should note that it is a 2 TB SSD and came with some weird MS format that did not show at all. First thing I had to do was re-format the drive (linux ext4) then add the user read/write permissions then set up an auto-mount on plug-in. Probably much easier to do in linux than MacOS.

The "Create Folder" in File -> Export is working here.

and for what it is worth, as an animation, plugging the external drive in with Gimp open. https://i.imgur.com/QdfL4Yn.mp4
(10-18-2023, 06:27 PM)geranium Wrote: Hello, I am a new gimp user.
I am using a mac os sonoma, on a mac min.
I can only download gimp 2.10.34.
When I want save a folder, my external drive is not visible
I have an external hard drive with X fat
Gimp have autorisation to use all folder.

Thanks you for your attention.

Normally, on Unix-based systems, mounted external drives appear as directory in your directory tree (on Linux it is /media/{user_name}/{disk_label}/). Of course your desktop UI may additionally single them out and show them as special entries, and on Linux Gimp also does so... But if yours doesn't you may have to look for the directory in the file hierarchy (or ask in an OSX forum).

Note that once you have found it you can bookmark it in the Gimp file selector dialog (this is what the big ➕ icon at the bottom of the Places panel is for).
Hello, Rich 2005 and ofnuts.
Thanks you a lot for your answer.

"One problem is there are few regular MacOS users on this forum. They come, post a question, never seen again."
I am a newmac user softwar, for internet security reason (hacker very agressive).I come from windows and linux mint.

"external drive visible using your File browser (is that finder in MacOS ?) If it is visible can you create a folder using the file browser ?"

Yes, my drive is visible on my desk and finder

But on gimp/savee image/place, my external drive is not visible

On reglage/systheme/confidentiality and security/folder.I seeen gimp have only a comply access to full disc
Other application have an option for desk andRemovable volume.

For blender I can save my work on external drive.

I am thinking just it miss option accesibility for mac os.

I will contact developper. 

I can' post picture, apprently it is an obligation to have url.

Thanks you a lot for your help

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-19-2023, 01:37 PM)geranium Wrote: Hello, Rich 2005 and ofnuts.
Thanks you a lot for your answer.

"One problem is there are few regular MacOS users on this forum. They come, post a question, never seen again."
I am a newmac user softwar, for internet security reason (hacker very agressive).I come from windows and linux mint.

"external drive visible using your File browser (is that finder in MacOS ?) If it is visible can you create a folder using the file browser ?"

Yes, my drive is visible on my desk and finder

But on gimp/savee image/place, my external drive is not visible

On reglage/systheme/confidentiality and security/folder.I seeen gimp have only a comply access to full disc
Other application have an option for desk andRemovable volume.

For blender I can save my work on external drive.

I am thinking just it miss option accesibility for mac os.

I will contact developper. 

I can' post picture, apprently it is an obligation to have url.

Thanks you a lot for your help

No restriction to post pictures (except size, but but upper limit is quite lax) and in any case you seem to have posted one.

What is this "rf 123 disque dur alias" in your screen shot? It appears to be a regular file (like a Windows .lnk). Or is it a failed attempt at a soft link to actual disk drive?
thanks you ofnut, for your answer.
on mac os, a, Alias is a shortcut.
for an exemple,if you want create a shortcut for your software, on your desk, you create a alias, on saftware folder.
After you  slip it on your desk.
In this case, I have create a shortcut to my hardrive, for see, if gimp will recognise hardrive more easily.

I am sending a picture , with gimp hardrive autorisation.and in comparison with other software, it mis desk autorisation.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gimp doesn't know about shortcut "files". Gimp will likely happily follow filesystem links (the thing you can create in a terminal with the ln -s command) as it does on other Unix systems.
(10-20-2023, 07:49 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Gimp doesn't know about shortcut "files". Gimp will likely happily follow filesystem links (the thing you can create in a terminal with the ln -s command) as it does on other Unix systems.

thanks you anwer .I will post if I have an answer on git lab.
Smile