Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pattern import
Good day I am a newbie to Gimp attempting to import a .pat file using a Zorin platform with 2.10, having tried a number of the tutorials I come unstuck pasting the .pat file into the share folder. It appears that I do not have permission to make that addition.
Any help appreciated I have trawled to forum but found nothing relating to this issue.
Thanks Huh
1. Do not use the root folder, you can use it but you need to be root to put files there. Use your Gimp user profile files which you will find in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/ Note this is a hidden folder (starts with a dot) toggle hidden visibility in your file browser (it will be there somewhere) 

(Edit: Unless you are using a flatpak Gimp in which case look in ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins)

2. Then a possibility, it is a Photoshop pattern, they have the same .pat suffix as a Gimp pattern but very different type of file.

If it is then you need a PS pattern loader. The one I use is attached. Looks like Zorin is based on 'buntu so it should work. Unzip it, put the ps-pat-load_64 plugin in your user plug-ins directory ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ It should already be executable but check anyway.

A PS pattern file is usually multi-layers, Open it as you would any other graphic file. example in  kubuntu 18.04 https://i.imgur.com/qMyC3K9.mp4

Use your favourite layers-to-images script to separate into individual images. Gimp will use jpegs and png's as pattern files as well as gimp .pat Put in your patterns folder ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/patterns

3. Of course, if it is a regular Gimp pattern file, then just put it in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/patterns When you start up Gimp the pattern will be in the patterns dock under its name.

Attached Files
.zip   ps-pat-load.zip (Size: 7.38 KB / Downloads: 322)