Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scaling images
Hi everyone. 

I am having trouble with some basic things in gimp. 

I can open two separate images in gimp separately. Then i drag one (it is a photo) on to the other. 
What used to look like a normal or small sized image covers the entirety of the other one. And it seems like a very high resolution. A small piece of the new image covers the entire first image. 
I would think that "scale image" would reform the image to a small size but it changes both images. How can i rescale only one layer or one image??

Also what are the best ways to open up 2 images in two separate layers? 
I can choose "open with" and then select gimp from two images and then try to combine them. 

Is there another way? If i choose "open with layers" and select an image, the images are sizes that don't work together. So, i try to scale the image, but like i said before, both images change sizes instead of just the new one. 
thx. zack
Quote:Also what are the best ways to open up 2 images in two separate layers? 
I can choose "open with" and then select gimp from two images and then try to combine them. 

Is there another way? If i choose "open with layers" and select an image, the images are sizes that don't work together. So, i try to scale the image, but like i said before, both images change sizes instead of just the new one.

Start with this first: Gimp works in pixels, if you are using inches / millimetres or / even yards, don't. Use pixels.
The size of the image in pixels by default settings is shown at the top of the Gimp main window. Pay attention to it. If you use Gimp to open an image the size in pixels is shown under the thumbnail.
Set the rulers to use pixels.

No good opening a small image first then opening As Layers a larger image. The first image takes precedence and sets the initial canvas size.  The larger image is still there but is invisible outside of the smaller canvas.

Does that make sense to you? When you get to know Gimp you can of course change the canvas size. Look it up in the Gimp docs.

Quote:I would think that "scale image" would reform the image to a small size but it changes both images. How can i rescale only one layer or one image??

The menu entry for rescaling a layer is Layer -> Scale layer However as with most things Gimp there are other ways. Any of the transform tools work on a layer, including the scale tool. Remember to keep within the limits of the canvas size.
...but for a single image use Image -> Scale Image which will resize the canvas
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but if I'm going to combine two images I first create a new blank template (File>New) bigger than both images, then open each of the images as layers. Then use Layer>Scale Layer to change the size of each as necessary. Use the move tool to move each layer where you want it and you can choose which layer you want to be on top or bottom of the combined image by changing their order in the Layers Menu. When you're finished,crop the combined image from the white background template and export.