• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Save layer as visible.
I hope to be able to explain my doubt.

The situation is this:
Situation 01.
• I have two layers:
•• The bottom one with any color image;
•• The top layer with an opaque image
The visual result of this overlay is the one shown in the image below, where it is seen that there is no visibility through the top image.

Situation 02.
• By modifying the top layer mode, I am able to obtain certain transparency, and the visual result shows that it is now possible to see part of the bottom image, as shown in the image below.

Attempt 01.
So I close the visibility of the bottom layer and make new from visible for the top layer.
The result I saved as a .png file

Unwanted Result.
The problem is that the image saved as .png does not maintain the conditions that were seen while under the effect of the applied layer modes. Part of the image transparency (not the background) is opaque (matte) again.

If I open this image and put it on top of another, there is no more transparency obtained in Situation 02.

There is some way to do this correctly and preserve the image as it is seen before it is saved (as it is visible while under the effect of layer mode).?

Thanks in advance.
(03-05-2020, 09:58 PM)Krikor Wrote: "So I close the visibility of the bottom layer and make new from visible for the top layer."

By turning off the visibility of the bottom layer before using "new from visible", you are changing the parameters and will get a different result.

Have you tried swapping the layers and using the overlay mode?

(03-05-2020, 11:00 PM)akovia Wrote: By turning off the visibility of the bottom layer before using "new from visible", you are changing the parameters and will get a different result.

Have you tried swapping the layers and using the overlay mode?

When I adjusted the top layer mode and got the desired transparency. I wish I could save the image in that state.
Then it would look glassy over any image I put on it.

But I must be delusional.
Is the image color-indexed (or exported to color-indexed PNG)?
(03-06-2020, 08:10 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Is the image color-indexed (or exported to color-indexed PNG)?

It is an RGB image and exported as .PNG with default values.
Hmm. Can you post the XCF?
(03-08-2020, 10:15 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Hmm. Can you post the XCF?

I don't have the original XCF anymore.
But I created another similar XCF using one of the images from the first post.
But I think my question may not make any sense ...  Blush
Sorry for taking your Ofnuts time and thank you so much for trying to help me.

Attached Files
.zip   Step01a.zip (Size: 375.5 KB / Downloads: 95)
I think I understand... You sort of assume that the layer mode is saved with the layer when you export it. This unfortunately not true. The layer is saved a is, and when you use it elsewhere it behaves as if its layer blend mode were Normal.

To make it see-thru in normal mode, you just have to make it partially transparent at the right places, which is done in two simple steps:

1. Since the color goes from mid-gray to white, stretch the contrast (Levels, Curves, or other...) to get the full black-white range
  2. Color>Color to alpha and remove the white

From this image you can export the Figtransp layer alone and it will behave the same on other backgrounds outside of Gimp.
Wow! The result is excellent!
I didn't try to find the best settings, but even so, following the steps given in the previous post, I first tried step 2 as suggested:
○ Color> Color to alpha and remove the white;
But it was on the second attempt when I tried to remove the black instead of the white that the magic appeared.
Ofnuts, you solved my doubt and still gave a perfect solution. Thank you.

Without a background it's hard to see ... Wink