Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scale image isn't scaling my image
My canvas is sized 1920x1080. The picture I'm working with is 1920x1279 and I'm trying to crop one part of it so I get 1920x1080. When I press Shift+C and enter size I want to crop it to, the cropping outline is much smaller than the size I'm entering. I know this for a fact because as I've said my canvas is 1920x1080 but when I put crop size into the same resolution (1920x1080), the crop outline is smaller than the canvas.

How do I solve this? I can't formulate the question good enough to find a solution via google, hence I'm asking here.

Example: gyazo screenshot
It's always helpful if you can post the entire GIMP window and not just the canvas

I'd start by making sure you haven't got a Fixed size/aspect ratio selected.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No, I haven't got the fix selected.

Full GIMP window: gyazo of gimp window
If you want to crop, close the scaling dialog, this is a different tool

Move the crop handles, they will likely adjust the crop frame to the size you requested

Your canvas is already 1920x1080, if you export the image, it will be automatically cropped to the canvas.

Your canvas is already 1920x1080, you can do "Layer>Layer to image size" to crop the layer to its part that is visible on the canvas.
Ofnuts answer helped me get the image to the size I want and without it's bottom part. Now I'm managing to crop the part I need, however I encountered something which might cause bigger problems in the future.

When I'm in the crop mode, if I first pull the crop window anywhere across my image, and after that enter Size numbers manually (in this instance 275x1080), my crop area won't go over the whole size I entered. I first need to put it's position into 0 and 0 in both of fields, in order to get the size I entered fully.

Is this normal? Naturally I expect the program to resize the crop bar to my stated size in both vertical directions, not just the bottom one.
(03-06-2020, 05:13 PM)Lost Birds Wrote: Is this normal? Naturally I expect the program to resize the crop bar to my stated size in both vertical directions, not just the bottom one.

Gimp shows you what it will crop is you strike [enter] at that point. If the combination origin+size extends beyonf the canvas, the result is constrained within the canvas(*).

It seems that what you want to do is different: crop to a given size, and chose the origin. For this you check the Fixed option, set it to Size and enter the dimension as 1920x1080.

(*) Unless you tick the "Allow growing" option, but this really has a different purpose.