Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sketching with a Wacom Tablet
Bougth a Wacom Intuos Small Tablet CTL-480 over a year ago.
Thats when i thought the best way to make posterized Obey-esque art is by drawing simplified shapes manually on top of a processed image.

Found it a very awkward tool and ditched it in frustration.

Tried again yesterday. I dont know, something is not right.....
Installed the latest driver and it has gotten better, but its still not like drawing on paper.

I dont think i have pressure tapering and im very unsure about the right brush dynamic.

Watched a lot of videos and it seems 'Basic Dynamic' is supposed to be the default for drawing in Gimp.
It does give me faded strokes and differing opacity, but it does not really seem ideal for drawing.

Of course i can produce a stroke that is tapered at both ends with the right brush dynamic, but whats the point for drawing ?
Especially when i have to adjust the Fade manually to get the right tapering for any given line ???

I also applied the Smooth Stroke option, which helps a bit but i havent figured out a good setting yet.

Also tried with Inkscape and i just dont find it very useful with the smoothing option of the Pen Tool.

As a last trial i installed Krita, which is very laggy on my computer.
According to the FAQ, the 4GB RAM i have is not optimal...

Any advice ?
I often use the airbrush tool instead of the paintbrush tool, because it has a flow setting. The opacity settings step over itself too much for my tastes with the paintbrush tool.

Too bad Krita doesn't work well for you, because the painting tools are very nice.
Okay, so i just found out that Pressure and Size do work when i set the tablet to 'Window', instead of 'Screen', but then it only works on the canvas area and not for the tools, even if i set Gimp to single window mode.....weird....

EDIT: and now that i changed it back to 'Screen' it works....

WTH ???