Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
so older versions of Gimp cant open xcf's made with 2.10 ??
Went back to Gimp 2.8.22 because of the weird behaviour of the Gaussian Blur
Tried to open two images i made with Gimp 2.10 and got an error.

Nothing special about them: one is an image with simple text, the other was the test image for the Blur behaviour.
Quote:so older versions of Gimp cant open xcf's made with 2.10 ??

Did you have everything in legacy mode. That is all layers. A single default layer will prevent saving in the 2.8/2.6 format.

some examples here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-2...02#pid7702

The GEGL gaussian blur has obviously annoyed you. I quite like it, even though the settings do match the older version.

...speaking of which Wink a quick experiment. Copied the Gimp 2.8 blur-gauss plugin from 2.8 to Gimp 2.10 Gimp profile plugins

Does it work - yes. This is of course linux. Wonder if that works in Windows.

[Image: RUrYrdV.jpg]
I cant test it because im unable to install both versions.
Yes, the G.B. behaviour turned me off. I still cant believe this is what its supposed to look.

Although i do very much like the new tools in 2.10, it feels kind of clunky.
Some actions seem to take way too long, or the image turns transparent for a short moment.

For now im happy with the portable version of 2.10 should i need it, but then again this is only so useful when i cant open the XCF.

(05-07-2018, 01:25 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Did you have everything in legacy mode. That is all layers. A single default layer will prevent saving in the 2.8/2.6 format.

Not sure, but a bit of curves on an image, plus text and its all over....really ?
Export as a .psd and then Gimp 2.8 can open it.  You may lose some functionality.

The same problem should exist with Krita, which cannot open xcf's from 2.10

.psd format is vastly improved from the old plugin.  Gimp 2.8 still has the broken poor .psd plugin, I think.

I'm not sure what will happen with the text info . . .
(05-07-2018, 04:02 PM)mholder Wrote: Export as a .psd and then Gimp 2.8 can open it.

i cannot export, because i can not open it
and its a bit of an irony to convert a Gimp 2.10 file into a Photoshop file so an older Gimp version can open it....  Tongue
(05-07-2018, 04:24 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 04:02 PM)mholder Wrote: Export as a .psd and then Gimp 2.8 can open it.

i cannot export, because i can not open it
and its a bit of an irony to convert a Gimp 2.10 file into a Photoshop file so an older Gimp version can open it....  Tongue

Quote:Did you have everything in legacy mode. That is all layers. A single default layer will prevent saving in the 2.8/2.6 format. 

➤>Not sure, but a bit of curves on an image, plus text and its all over....really ?

You did not pick up on what I was saying. If you want to Save as a Gimp 2.8 file then

1. Go through all the layers and check that they are in legacy mode
2. Change precision to 8 bit and Gamma to sRGB if required.

It will tell you bottom of the Save dialogue if the file is backward compatible

in here if you look https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-2...02#pid7702
(05-07-2018, 04:37 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You did not pick up on what I was saying. If you want to Save as a Gimp 2.8 file then

I understand what you are saying, but i didnt think of it when i saved in 2.10 and it seems awfully complicated for an image that has nothing advanced going on.
I would understand the lack of backwards compatibility if i had a layergroup mask active or a higher bitrate.
(05-07-2018, 05:11 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 04:37 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You did not pick up on what I was saying. If you want to Save as a Gimp 2.8 file then

I understand what you are saying, but i didnt think of it when i saved in 2.10 and it seems awfully complicated for an image that has nothing advanced going on.
I would understand the lack of backwards compatibility if i had a layergroup mask active or a higher bitrate.

Yes, needs a built-in radio button - " set all layers to legacy/SRGB" or a magic plugin.

If you start off with a legacy layer, it duplicates as legacy
The option is there when creating a new layer

[Image: FdaWjhR.jpg] 

If you need decent blending as with linear gamma then probably worth while using that until the end, then change to legacy modes.

PSD ?? an alternative might be open-raster .ora which saves layers in PNG format
Like it or not, .psd is the perhaps the best current interchange format. Open Raster (.ora) loses all my masks. I would prefer to use .ora but development seems to have stopped.
Tin Tran of Gimp Learn has written a script that will adjust XCF files done in 2.10 so they can be used in 2.8.  Originally he wrote this for the Gimp Custom Font Files but works on other xcf files.

https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php/To-L...f=3&t=1649