Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making tiny images for a RC transmitter.
Hi there.

First of all - i am totally new to GIMP so any help would be greatly appreciated and i need it bent i neon ... like really understandable for a GIMP-beginner. I use GIMP version 2.10.28 on Windows 11.

Here is a description of what i need to do. I have a transmitter with a color display and i can put an image of the planes i'm using on it. The image has to be 192 x 108 pixels. I have attached a screenshot of the display of the transmitter so you can see what i am talking about.

My problem is that i can't figure out how to take the image of my plane/helicopter and make it fit the 192 x 108 pixels without too much of the rest of the image - i need the plane to occupy as much of the box of 192 x 108 pixels a possible without too much of everything else around the plane.

I have used other software where i made a mask (192 x 108 pixels) and then just resized the image (keeping the aspect ratio) until the plane fitted in the mask and then use the option "cut to mask" so only the little rectangle with the plane was left and i saved it as PNG. Since i can't afford to buy the software i found GIMP and hope i can learn to do similar things with my pictures. 

I hope someone in here could find the time to explain this to me - and down on a level that i can understand.    Big Grin

Best regards
If you have the image in a format that Gimp can use, png / jpeg / tiff / ....and others. You have a png that is OK.

Open the image in Gimp
Use the crop tool (shift-C) and set options in the tool options section.

Delete cropped pixels
Fixed aspect ratio with the value 192:108 then draw in and size a box to fit.
Enter or click in the canvas  to apply

Then Image -> Scale Image and enter the size Width 192 / Height 108  Use interpolation NoHalo for best scaling.

Click the scale button

A quick animation of that: https://i.imgur.com/KeQ0mzE.mp4

Export the result File -> Export enter a name + an extension (filename.png or filename.jpg) .png / .jpg / .tif whatever is applicable .png is usually default.
Rich2005 

- thank you very much for the fast reply and the very easy to understand explanation. And super great with the animation. I am going to try it out tonight.

It made me smile that you choose that particular image as an example - because in my younger days i flew hanggliders. My first one was a Bautek Zaphir 17 and then i got a Guggenmos Bullet Cut (factory new). Some years later i got another Bautek .. model Kite. But my favorite was my Bullet Cut .. 

Once again - Thanks a bunch.

regards