Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
start_gimp-2.10.bat - Installation
Brick 
Hi,

I downloaded the Samj Portable 2.10.32 version and am carefully analyzing how I will proceed to change the version.

The first thing that is different that I found is the existence of the start_gimp-2.10.bat file, which does not exist in my version in use.

So my question is:

Why this .bat file if there is nothing like that in the current version?
When will it be executed?
Should I keep it or can I delete it?

Here the contents of the file:

set GMIC_PATH=%CD%\GMIC_Filters
set GIMP2_DIRECTORY=%CD%\Preferences
start /B %CD%\bin\gimp-2.10.exe

Last but not least!

Is there a way for me to test this new version (2.10.32) without having to first uninstall the current version (2.10.28) and so that there is no conflict between them (shared use of files, etc.)?

Grateful!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(11-10-2023, 04:00 PM)Krikor Wrote: ...snip...Is there a way for me to test this new version (2.10.32) without having to first uninstall the current version (2.10.28) and so that there is no conflict between them (shared use of files, etc.)?  

I have a samj portable Gimp 2.10.32 from when it was released and no .bat file that you show. (I have a slow internet these days and do not fancy a new monster .7z download) 
Attached a listing of the .bat files I have.

The .bat file you have seems to be connected to the gimp_gmic_qt plugin.

samj are portable and isolated. You should have no fears about running from one of the language launchers such as GIMP_EN.exe It should open Gimp 2.10.32 separate from anything else.

Trying to get everything into one screenshot Win10 / samj 2.10.32  One reason might be a latest gimp_gmic_qt . You will need to download the zip from http://www.gmic.eu

In portable -> Preferences -> plug-ins rename the existing gmic_gimp_qt (to gmic_gimp_qt-old)
Unpack gmic-3.3.2-gimp2.10-WIN64 and rename to gmic_gimp_qt . Put in the portable Preferences -> plug-ins folder

Looks ok here. This Win10 / samj 2.10.32 on drive E: with gmic 3.3.2 (and my current favourite angry butterfly Wink  )

Attached Files
.txt   port.txt (Size: 1.34 KB / Downloads: 27)
I'm sorry.
I ended up entering the wrong version while typing.
Please consider version 2.10.36 to be what I'm referring to.

In the G'MIC_Filters folder there is...

OK, I downloaded the samj Gimp 2.10.36 (only took a couple of games of computer Scrabble and a game of cribbage, hardly any time at all)

Now installed next to the other samj Gimp 2.10.32 in a drive E:

It starts and runs as others using one of the language launchers. GIMP_EN.exe

Using that bat file it starts just the same on my computer (in English) but I suspect that it will use whatever is the computer system language.

Comes with gmic 3.3.2

Just try it and see what happens.
Shocked 
rich2005 you make it seem easy which is a headache for me.  Blush

Possibly this will be my last attempt using Samj-Portables versions (which I have been doing since the beginning of version 2.10).
Possibly upgrading from the standard version will be easier (I hope).

** Clarifying that I only opened one of the versions when the other had already been closed. Either one or the other version is always in use. **

1- I installed version 2.10.36; OK
2- I copied data from my version 2.10.28 and transferred it to version 2.10.36 (Patterns, brushes, plugins, etc); OK

3- When I opened version 2.10.28 again I noticed that part of its settings were modified by the steps above. For example, the path to my plugins and scripts was no longer included in this version.

4- I had to re-enter my version 2.10.28 settings lost during steps 1 and 2; OK

5- Open version 2.10.36 again; OK
6- Open version 2.10.28; OK

What I noticed so far:

A small slowdown in version 2.10.36. A little close to what I reported when I tried to install version 2.10.32 in the past

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-to...1#pid30011

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Flicke...h-deletion

The Pattern preview in version 2.10.36 is horrible, it's impossible to know what pattern it is just by looking at it.

Ever since I failed to upgrade in the past - 2.10.28 to 2.10.32, I have been traumatized by upgrades.
It seems that before (in the past) it was easier to update a version of Gimp).

And from what I'm seeing, for now, this version 2.10.36 is not worthy of taking the place of 2.10.28. But I just made the change and will take more time to make a decision.

rich2005 thank you very much for your help!!
(11-10-2023, 10:00 PM)Krikor Wrote: The Pattern preview in version 2.10.36 is horrible, it's impossible to know what pattern it is just by looking at it.

Wowww, you're right Undecided
Can you send (zip) those patterns here, I' gonna make a report on GIMP bug tracker
Patrice
It possibly needs a bit more investigation. This using kubuntu 20.04 / Gimp 2.10.36 (PPA)

Some hatching patterns, small size 48x48
I thought it might be the larger size, scaled up to 500x500 and exported as a .pat
Might be the image format so exported again this time as a .png

The preview is ok here.

That pattern preview is much more useful than before. 
Now, I don't only see the top left corner of it (especially for larger patterns), but the whole thing.
(11-11-2023, 03:20 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 10:00 PM)Krikor Wrote: The Pattern preview in version 2.10.36 is horrible, it's impossible to know what pattern it is just by looking at it.

Wowww, you're right  Undecided
Can you send (zip) those patterns here, I' gonna make a report on GIMP bug tracker

I would even send it without any problem, but I don't think that's the case since all the patterns are in the same situation.

In order for me to visually have an idea of what the pattern is about without having read the description first, I need the preview size to be at least Enourmous.

The positive side of this problem is that other windows, brushes, gradients, fonts do not present this type of problem.