Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where is c2g in Gimp 2.10.12 ?
hello, i am new to this forum.  i just began to use the new Gimp v2.10.12 and i miss the c2g function i made use of for many years in v2.8.  where do i find Gegl's c2g ?
Menu Colors > Desaturate > Color to Gray
wow, that's the thing i was looking for since yesterday - very helpful, many thanks !

2nd question : how can i change the number of CPU cores recruited for a GEGL process ?  currently it uses only 2, that's a fraction out of 16...
(07-07-2019, 01:53 PM)pistikem Wrote: wow, that's the thing i was looking for since yesterday - very helpful, many thanks !

2nd question : how can i change the number of CPU cores recruited for a GEGL process ?  currently it uses only 2, that's a fraction out of 16...

Go to Menu Edit > Preferences ; in the System Resources part, you can set the "Number of threads to use".
As far as I know you also need openCL enabled and a working opencl driver in your linux.
(07-07-2019, 02:24 PM)rich2005 Wrote: As far as I know you also need openCL enabled and a working opencl driver in your linux.

No ; multi-threads processing and opencl processing are independant of each other.
You can use several threads without any opencl support.
great, thank you both, it suddenly started to use somehow all cores available - although i didn't change the settings in preferences, but opening its menu just did it apparently.  nice speed up, as compared to v2.8 !
actually, it's pretty strange - i got it once only running on all cores, and since then it wants to make use of just two cores.  any manipulation under preferences and settings doesn't make a difference...   does image type or image size matter in this respect ?
You could go back to preferences and check that the number of threads are still 16. I thought that Gimp polled the system and set up accordingly...but...

I keep a cpu / memory widget in the kicker (using kbuntu here) and see the load jumping about but yes, 2 cores do seem to be favoured but not always the same ones.

I put a widget on the desktop, captured a C2G opp as a video (but can not honestly inflict that on anyone, so screenshots). Obviously processes (ffmpeg) are running in the background, but a good indication of what is going on.

Starts evenly balanced : https://i.imgur.com/IAhM38f.jpg
but by half way favours cpu0 & cpu1 https://i.imgur.com/aPTi0qV.jpg
almost finished, still mostly cpu0 & 1 but a bit of load on 3 & 4 https://i.imgur.com/o3hETk5.jpg
Takes about a minute here for that size image - 16 bit, 3400 x 3400

What does it prove? Not a lot except not to worry about it too much Wink
thank you, rich2005.  there may be something broken in my Gimp version or in the environment it runs in on my Slackware box : it usually uses 2 cores - but then when i play a bit in the Color to Gray GUI window, for example with 'split window' or even just pressing 'cancel', Gimp suddenly makes use of all cores for quite a while till the end (24 Mpxls), or interrupts this and goes back to the 2-core speed.  i monitor this with xosview or with nmon.  it's quite erratic and is annoying as i have a workflow in which i want to keep processing times as short as possible...