Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Curved Text
Photo 
I found instructions for curving text and followed them to the letter and didn't get the results that was expected. Here is the URL where I 
was at: https://itsfoss.com/curve-text-gimp/

Here are the steps I took.
1. I opened a blank ribbon banner in which I wanted to put the curved text.
2. I created a new path by clicking on the Paths Tool, entering both beginning and ending points.
3. I created a new layer and named it "Curved Text". I looked and it didn't show up where your "It's Foss Curved Text Tutorial" appeared above "Background" on the right side of the screen. In fact, nothing showed up.
4. I clicked on the text icon and adjusted the text size to 120 from 62 (or something) and clicked onto where I wanted the text to begin, which was the same place I had already clicked on in order to get that little pop-up box to come up. I then typed in my wanted text.
5. With the supposed layer still open, I right-clicked on the text and selected "Text Along Path". It created a new, curved text in hollow letters ABOVE my text. So, it didn't merge. Perhaps it was because Gimp didn't create a "Curved Text" layer above my "Unnamed" o the right side of the screen.
6. I actually moved my original text so that I could click on the new text and right-clicked on that, but there was no "Path to Selection" option.
7. I kept messing around, trying different things and suddenly I noticed there was a "Path" layer directly above "Unnamed" with the eye next to it. But there was also a second layer named "Path #1" above the layer "Path". I have no idea how that happened.
8. I decided to move on anyway with the eye still on the "Path" layer, which was my original new layer (I supposed, although it didn't have the name I gave it).
9. I selected the Bucket Fill tool, kept the color at black, clicked in the area of where the new hollow text was, and nothing happened.
10. I just now, for reasons I can't tell you because I do not know, I clicked in the original black text I put in, in step #4 above. Everything but the inside of the letters "A" and "D" turned black! So, SOMETHING worked, just not the way I expected.

So, That's where I'm at. I'm trying to make a logo for a friend's sewing school in Africa, going in places in Gimp where I've never been before, but at least I actually followed instructions. And, YES, I'm a male. LOL Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have included a photo. Thanks.
Cris

P.S. The larger ribbon behind the one with the new curved text in it was the original ribbon. The one with the text in it is a picture of the results I got from the above steps, which I just copied over the top of the original one. It took me a minute to figure that out. It's 4:50 a.m. and I think I'm a little tired. LOL

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Help with Curved Text - by CrisMO47 - 03-21-2022, 09:44 AM
RE: Help with Curved Text - by rich2005 - 03-21-2022, 02:23 PM
RE: Help with Curved Text - by CrisMO47 - 03-22-2022, 04:49 AM