Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Boost GIMP Workflow: Emulating Photoshop Efficiency
(01-12-2024, 06:45 AM)bijutoha Wrote: Hey everyone, nice to meet you.

It took me a while to switch from Photoshop to GIMP. I'm trying to please with what GIMP can do. To speed up my work, I'd love to hear from other GIMP users who have successfully switched from Photoshop to GIMP.

Here are some specific areas I'm looking for guidance on:

Customizing the GIMP interface: Are there any plugins or themes that mimic the Photoshop layout and tool placement?

There are some in various states of abandonment. You may hear about GimpShop (but avoid it, it has been hijacked and is mostly a malware platform at this point). The lost current appear to be PhotoGimp.

(01-12-2024, 06:45 AM)bijutoha Wrote: Mapping Photoshop shortcuts to GIMP: Is there a recommended way to replicate my familiar Photoshop keyboard shortcuts within GIMP?

See above. However all these solutions are incomplete, there are several things that you cannot change in Gimp (key usage and mouse clicks inside a given tool are pretty much hard-wired).

(01-12-2024, 06:45 AM)bijutoha Wrote: Emulating Photoshop features: Are there hidden gems or workarounds within GIMP that achieve similar results to popular Photoshop tools like brushes, layer masks, and adjustment layers?

Plenty of brushes (Gimp or MyPaint). Layer masks do exist in Gimp. Adjustment layers don't (an equivalent (but not identical) functionality may be part of Gimp 3.0).

(01-12-2024, 06:45 AM)bijutoha Wrote: I'm eager to learn and unlock the full potential of GIMP while maintaining my existing workflow efficiency. Any tips, tricks, or resources you can share would be greatly appreciated!

All in all I would recommend to us the standard Gimp interface. Disturbing at first, but at least it reminds you that you are using Gimp and not PS. Plus if you ask for help or look at tutorials, they will show you the Gimp interface and give you shortcuts that may not work with your setup.

Gimp is very script/plugin-oriented. There are plenty of scripts & and plugins around to increase Gimp's functionality...

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to Boost GIMP Workflow: Emulating Photoshop Efficiency - by Ofnuts - 01-12-2024, 08:40 AM