Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From '/' (search actions) to menus
Thumbs Up 
(02-17-2024, 04:12 AM)PixLab Wrote: You might not like it, and I might be out of context, but here are my thoughts:
GIMP is removing some filters, like Maximum RGB, Blinds, Small tiles, etc... that you can only call by default with the search "/" in 2.10, thus you need to adapt some how, because with GIMP 3 you will get stuck Wink

A solution I found is G'MIC, or the use of a different native GIMP's filter
For instance
Blinds is easy with a different native filters like the Grid (Filters > Render > Pattern > Grid...), or Checkerboard (Filters > Render > Pattern > Checkerboard) and you can even get transparent blinds with the Erase mode, or even a simple Filters > Map > Recursive Transform... with a vertical/horizontal line on a new layer will do the job as well.
The even better side is that on all those GEGL filters, not only you got the full canvas preview, but you can save your settings as presets... and the next time it's just a 1 click filter.

G'MIC has also an option for Blinds with Arrays & Tiles > Tiled Isolation and got the same displacement "problem" than the original Blinds plugin

About Small Tiles, G'MIC does even a greater job than the original GIMP's filter, as there are no aliasing with G'MIC Wink (Arrays & Tiles > Array [Regular])

On a side note Query Primary in G'MIC replaces Maximum RGB
In G'MIC there is another advantage, you can put those filters with settings of yours in your Faves and then once in your faves you can rename them with a name you like Wink

programmer_ceds, although the link indicated does not address my question (the possibility of having these filters in menus and not just via the key ( '/', ' ?' ) was still an interesting read.

rich2005, I have these files (blinds.exe and tile-small). They are in the folder C:\Gimp-2.10.28_Portable_32-64bit-Win\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

If I move them from this folder to the Preferences / Plugins folder (the one where I have my plugins) it will be enough for them to end up in the Filters - Distorts (Blinds) and Filter - Maps (Small Tiles) menus or I necessarily need to download the attached files?

Quote:You might not like it, and I might be out of context, but here are my thoughts:

PixLab, you're right, I really don't like it, but there's nothing I can do about it.

The Blinds filter is definitely more immediate and straight to the point, without the need for much adjustment.
But the options you pointed out seem to produce the same after correct adjustments. I particularly preferred Grid in this sense.

Small Tiles is what I always used. I never thought about finding a replacement.
But the G'MIC options (Array [Regular]) and also (Array Mirrored (I ended up digging around and discovered this other option that Small Tiles has but that Array Regular doesn't) are really excellent.

Quote:About Small Tiles, G'MIC does even a greater job than the original GIMP's filter, as there are no aliasing with G'MIC Wink (Arrays & Tiles > Array [Regular])

I just can't agree on that. The results I obtained with G'MIC were slightly softer and less sharp than those obtained via Small Tiles.

Regarding Maximum RGB, I noticed that you already mentioned this filter in other topics. It must be something interesting but I don't really know how to use it or for what purpose it would be useful.

I also compared the Maximum RGB obtained via the ("/") key and that obtained via G'MIC Query Primary.
The G'MIC version has the Medians option, in addition to the Maxima and Minima options, which in itself seems like a great advantage.

programmer_ceds, rich2005 and PixLab, thanks for your help!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.

Messages In This Thread
From '/' (search actions) to menus - by Krikor - 02-16-2024, 04:56 PM
RE: From '/' (search actions) to menus - by Krikor - 02-17-2024, 11:05 PM