Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color profile verses working space
I have been using both ExifTool & XnView (both windows & multi-platform versions).  My level of sophistication is such that I rely exclusively on the use of ExiftoolGUI and haven’t yet begun to exploit all of the capabilities.  I also believe that ExiftoolGUI is aging and no longer being maintained.  As good as it is this creates lots of concern for use in workflow procedures being developed with durability as an objective.  However, my basis (confidence if you will) for saying that the metadata is mostly gone is based on what these tools report.  My lack of sophistication is also why I’ve resisted any temptations to install GIMP 2.9 development versions.

The idea of exporting an ICC profile from a source/input file and then importing that profile back into image files exported from GIMP would suggest to me that what GIMP calls “converting the working space" ought be avoided.  In that, be sure to tell GIMP not to do conversion so as to preserve the color profile that you have (exported).  Doesn’t it?  In the event that GIMP is allowed to perform this conversion, which includes essentially all of my work prior to now, is it possible to find something to import in those cases?

I've now experimented with the suggestion about export and import of ICC profiles using ExiftoolGUI.  I used the menu item indicated as "Export/Import>Copy metadata from single file ...".  The source file was .tif format and the target (updated) file was jpg format.  The source file was equivalent to a camera developed image but was created without any editing/revision of a raw file using the software supplied by the camera maker (Canon).  Curiously there are entries for RedTRC, BlueTRC, and GreenTRC within the ICC profile which all say "(Binary data 2060 bytes, use -b option to extract)".  It isn't clear to me whether that binary data is part of the metadata or image data but I'm suspecting that the binary data is an important part of the profile and that it was NOT transferred.  Any idea what to do now?

Messages In This Thread
Color profile verses working space - by ajax - 01-06-2018, 05:27 PM
RE: Color profile verses working space - by ajax - 01-09-2018, 04:10 AM
RE: Color profile verses working space - by ajax - 01-09-2018, 04:06 PM
RE: Color profile verses working space - by ajax - 01-10-2018, 07:30 PM