Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.8 and 2.9 performance (brush lag)
Question 
Hello. I have been using Gimp for many years (I guess it started with 1.2 or even 1.0 version). Nothing complicated, basic photo edition, low resolution. It was fine. Few Years ago I started to photograph more seriously than before and I decided that I move to Photoshop, mainly for its much bigger tutorials availability and 16-bit tiff support. This year, after my subscription ran out, I decided that I will try to save some $$ and give Gimp another try. I realised, that after some modifications I can use part of my PS experience inside Gimp and it seems 16-bit support is almost there!

After I forced Gimp 2.8 to recognise my tablet I realised I have problems with performance - precisely speaking, brush lag. I am working on quite big files (up to 24mpix) and when I paint on a layer mask using Wacom tablet I have serious brush lag. I realise that my laptop is quite weak (Pentium 2020M, 8GB ram), but Photoshop didn't have this problem, even when working with 16-bit. Is that normal Gimp behaviour?

Second question - I tried Gimp 2.9 - despite 2 core support it is significantly slower (more lag), and after enabling 16-bit depth it is even worse. Is 2.9 slower than 2.8?

Michael

P.S. I tried to disable rulers. It helped -a bit-.

Messages In This Thread
Gimp 2.8 and 2.9 performance (brush lag) - by dr_Fell - 02-16-2018, 03:29 PM