Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layer opacity shortcut
Hi all,
I've been using Gimp for years on a fairly basic level. Recently I have been doing a lot of image stitching - there's overlap in the individual images so I just bring them in as layers, reduce the top level opacity, match positions, return it to full opacity and merge down. Not difficult but repetitive.
I make a lot of use of keyboard shortcuts ("Accelerators") and the preset "10% more Transparent" is great but I generally need to press it 3 or 4 times to get a useable level of transparency. 
That got me thinking about Gimp's scripting potential, something I've never looked at before - "set active level to 60% opacity" with a single keypress would be so useful for me.
I'm very familiar with html and Office VBA but my first looks at python-fu have me very confused. If I just want this function do I have to create a plug-in and register it then get it to appear in the list of available commands so I can assign a combination of keys? The python console itself is already pretty confusing.
I think I've got something that could maybe do what I want but I can't figure how to run it to see what happens in order to debug. Then again maybe I'm completely off track...

➤> image = gimp.image_list()[0]
➤> active_layer = pdb.gimp_image_get_active_layer(image)
➤> pdb.gimp_layer_set_opacity(active_layer, 60)

Any help with solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Layer opacity shortcut - by DaveMac - 03-16-2018, 08:20 AM
RE: Layer opacity shortcut - by Kevin - 03-16-2018, 09:42 AM
RE: Layer opacity shortcut - by Ofnuts - 03-16-2018, 10:07 AM
RE: Layer opacity shortcut - by DaveMac - 03-16-2018, 08:28 PM
RE: Layer opacity shortcut - by Ofnuts - 03-16-2018, 11:51 PM
RE: Layer opacity shortcut - by DaveMac - 03-17-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Layer opacity shortcut - by Ofnuts - 03-17-2018, 05:56 PM
RE: Layer opacity shortcut - by DaveMac - 04-10-2018, 02:14 PM