Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Licence for a Game
Hello, i am a long term user of gimp (since my 8th grade, so 8 years now), i can do pretty much anything, but since I've been a student till so far i never had the need to worry about licensing. 
I am planning to start a game project in GODOT as my final degree project, GODOT is licensed under MIT license which is amazingly permissive. So here's my plan:

Use 3 types of art assets:
CC 0
CC BY
Public Domain

cc by is not a problem, i can simply document where i got the art, give credit to the autor (in the way an author requests, if not requested in any specific way, the most simple and not misleading way possible) and document changes, without needing to expose the final product with alterations.

I want to sell my game commercially but i don't want to give people to pick my meshes/images produced in GIMP/Blender and do whatever they want with them, nor i can do such thing because Game engines normally encrypt files and to access them one must do some reverse engineering. MIT license has me covered on that but according to GPL license any kind of asset produced by a GPL licensed program (GIMP/Bender/etc) will only be of my property only if they are not used in a full screen environment or....another occasion i don't remember. If i make a loading screen with an image produced/modified by gimp then i'll have to release that image under GPL license and sub consequently the whole game(right?), so.....how do i avoid these legal issues? Should i move to Krita? Which i totally don't want =( 

Thanks in advance for the help

Messages In This Thread
Licence for a Game - by GreenPlasticMadeChimpmunk - 06-05-2018, 01:15 PM
RE: Licence for a Game - by Ofnuts - 06-05-2018, 03:19 PM
RE: Licence for a Game - by Ofnuts - 06-05-2018, 03:30 PM
RE: Licence for a Game - by Ofnuts - 06-05-2018, 06:22 PM