Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(new user) Unable to save any file including .xcf
(06-11-2018, 12:10 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Looks like an old PC... There used to be a bug where the File Selector would hang for a long time (but eventually unlock) if you have a false floppy disk defined in the BIOS. Can you check if you have one?

Hi thanks for the very quick response. Yes, it's an old second-hand Dell desktop. A real old workhorse, and works pretty well for everyday things.

Do I need to reboot to see what's in the BIOS? (I guess so).

In the meantime, after posting my question, I decided to uninstall, and install an older version (I found where they were).
I tried 2.10.0, but had exactly the same result.

I couldn't find a 2.9 that seemed to apply to my machine (seemed to be only 64 bit - might that have worked?)

So went to 2.8.0 (which I now see is  a bit old ..maybe there is a later 2.8.? that might be better).

Just tried successfully opening a small .jpg and then exporting it as .png and saving the ..xcf.

Haven't tried actual image manipulation with it yet, but it's looking more hopeful, and as I'm not looking to do anything very sophisticated with it for the time being, this might keep me going for a bit.

I'll try looking at the BIOS when I get a minute. Do I just need to delete that false floppy (if possible) if there is one?

Thanks again.

EDIT: I now see there is a 2.8.22 that's only about a year old. Have d/l that and might give it a try later.

Messages In This Thread
RE: (new user) Unable to save any file including .xcf - by Montmorency - 06-11-2018, 12:23 AM