Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Photos Right Print Size - And All The Same!
I am trying to make passport photos for three different people.

And I think to finish up with an image suited for your typical print shop where they print on 4" x 6" paper and usually get about eight passport pics on the one card.

So I've been making the passport pics from different photos all supposedly crafted to be of the required size (48mm x 33mm in this case ) and I have finished up with the 'passport pics'  with these details according to GIMP:

1.   737 x 1072 pixels.   4" x 5.9"             180 x 180 ppi
2.  689 x 1003 pixels   3.82" x 5.57"        180 x 180 ppi
3.  630 x 918 pixels     3.5"  x 5.1"            180 x 180 ppi

So it hasn't worked out.  They're all different.

So am I using the wrong method?

Or can this all be fixed at this stage?

Right now I can't even cut and paste them successfully onto a new canvas of 4" x 6".   Can paste them on but they're too big and I can't move them around to tuck them into the corner.  Hence I never even get past the first one.

The method is to calculate the pixels per mm by measuring the head height in pixels right there in GIMP and dividing that number by the required head height in mm as specified.  (30mm)

I then know the pixel dimensions of the rectangle I need to cut out because I just multiply those pixels/mm by the height and width (48 x 33).

Sounds alright.   But it's not working too good.

Unless it can all be fixed now.

Or is there an entirely different way to go about it?

Messages In This Thread
Get Photos Right Print Size - And All The Same! - by abrogard - 07-19-2018, 09:30 AM