Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange results from Display Filters>Clip Warning
As pretty much of a novice when it comes to digital image editing it seems like the idea of finding the portions of an image where clipping is occurring might be pretty basic.  It looks like this is done via View>Display Filters with the Clip Warning filter active.  I think I understand what Highlights and Shadows are but have no idea when it comes to Bogus Color.  I'd suppose that anything clipped might be considered Bogus.

When reading the help pertaining to Display Filters I find the following:

This filter allows to visualize underexposed and overexposed areas of a photo with user-configurable colors. For now, it’s mostly geared towards images where colors are stored with floating point precision. You will mostly benefit from this, if you work on 16-/32-bit per channel float images such as EXR and TIFF.

This is not very helpful.  Given that I'm working in 16 bit integer precision it comes across as something I ought not be using but surely I should be expected to want to know what is clipped.  How is that reconciled?

Furthermore, the strange results really arise when Clip Warning is Active and then View>Color Management>Soft Proof is also activated.  This seems to have the affect of turning the Magenta color used for out of gamut identification, when Soft Proofing, into Black which of course is a color that is not associated with either Clip Warning or Soft Proofing.  Black is also a pretty bad choice for any such warning since shadows that are NOT clipped include colors that are dark (i.e., nearly if not black).

I'm having a hard time finding any images that show some clipping when the Clip Warning is active.  This is true even though other software such as Rawtherapee does show fairly extensive clipping clipping on some of the same images.  Maybe this is what the documentation meant when saying "For now, ..." but does that also mean DO NOT USE GIMP for my scenario.

My thinking would be that the difference between Soft Proof and Clip Warning is what color profile is applied.  Soft proof should apply the profile associated with a specific choice of printer/paper/ink whereas Clip Warning would apply the profile for my display device which, by the way, has been calibrated.

Any elaboration that helps with the above dilemma will be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Strange results from Display Filters>Clip Warning - by ajax - 09-22-2018, 04:56 PM