Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making an image semi-transparent… Or is that semi-opaque?
(09-27-2018, 12:45 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: These threads always follow the same pattern:
some guy downloads powerful open source software and has a specific idea how to do something (which is most of the time not a good technique), but doesnt say what he wants to achieve.
Then chaos breaks loose and OP gets assist over several pages.

First of all: what is the goal ? (brush with fading transparent areas ?)

Solution: 
1. Learn how to make brushes (dont use the clipboard brush for this effect).
2. Learn how a layermask works, then apply knowledge to making a specific brush.

You’ve got the wrong guy, LOL! First of all, I’m actually not a guy. Secondly, I don’t have a specific idea of how to do pretty much anything, I’m just fumbling around, playing with tools, doing Google searches for articles on tools, and trying to make digital art based on dream images. I just stumbled on the clipboard brush while looking for a way to do something else, and if I can get it to produce a semi-transparent image, I think I can make what I’m trying to make, but I might need to have an image where a part of it is semi-transparent and part of it is opaque… I won’t know until I actually work with it. The end result will hopefully be a flat semi-transparent spiral with a darker area in the middle of the band.

“Learn how“ sounds so simple and reasonable, except I’m a completely non-technical person who can’t make heads or tails out of 99% of the stuff that I find in articles about Gimp. Learning how to do one specific little thing is feasible… although it’s looking like maybe not in this instance… but learning how to do whole complex areas probably isn’t. I’m sorry that this is aggravating to those that are technically proficient!

(09-27-2018, 02:31 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:..it’s been so long since I used any brushes that I can’t be positive; the only thing I’m positive about is that that isn’t working NOW..

Try: Edit -> Preferences -> Tools Options  then click on Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values

Click on Ok, restart Gimp see if the pencil tool works. Make sure you are using a valid brush (not an empty clipboard brush)

I had high hopes for this one… But sadly, it didn’t work. Pencil worked normally upon restart as it always does. I switched to a brush, verified that it WAS the brush, clicked back on pencil… And it was still the brush. Tried with several other brushes; same thing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Making an image semi-transparent… Or is that semi-opaque? - by HavingTooMuchFun - 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM