Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimalism versus Bloatware
I recently cleaned up my Gimp.
Startup time was waaaaay too long for my taste and i know that i have a lot of scripts that i have no idea of what they are doing, meaning: i never use them.

Also edited a few scripts  so that they turn up in a different place where i would find them.

Had ofnut's resource manager installed some time ago, but went one step further and also put the majority of Gimp's native patterns and gradients in a resource folder.
I know that could be problematic with some of the scripts, but i dont think thats a problem in my case because i dont use the majority of one-click effects anyway.

Also deleted a ton of fonts i never use. Once you learn more about fonts, you get away from all the space fonts to a more classic and universal style.

Now everything is much more clean and tidy and i like it that way.

And to start with, im not even a big hoarder. I guess there are other users who have tons of patterns, gradients, fonts, effect scripts and plug-ins.

I hardly need any path related scripts because i make everything in Inkscape now and import it into Gimp.
In fact i think Inkscape and Gimp make such a great combination.
Loads of things that are so much easier to make in Inkscape (shapes obviously, text on a path, gradients, warped text, even kerning), while on the other hand adding texture, layermodes and filters is so much easier (and better) in Gimp.

So what does your Gimp look like ? Is it bursting with extras or do you like it clean and minimal ?

Messages In This Thread
Minimalism versus Bloatware - by Espermaschine - 10-15-2016, 06:44 AM
RE: Minimalism versus Bloatware - by rich2005 - 10-15-2016, 07:51 AM
RE: Minimalism versus Bloatware - by Ofnuts - 10-15-2016, 07:42 PM
RE: Minimalism versus Bloatware - by Ofnuts - 10-15-2016, 11:02 AM
RE: Minimalism versus Bloatware - by Ofnuts - 10-15-2016, 07:40 PM