Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other software unable to display .tif files created by GIMP
After a little more investigation I've now found that Canon DPP is not the only image editing software that CANNOT open files created by GIMP in .tif format.  Arcsoft Photo Studio 6 (PS6), which was included with my scanner, is also unable to open some such files.  I've also done a few tests to try and determine whether or not this phenomenon is related to any specific options that might be associated with the faulty .tif files.  It turns out that in at least one such trial PS6 seemed to be troubled by the assignment of an ICC profile.  In that, it could read such a file that did NOT contain an ICC profile.  However, DPP cannot open any .tif files that I've created with GIMP which includes quite a few.  This certainly is NOT conclusive but does mean there is evidence suggesting that this problem is caused by GIMP.

While I'm a bit of a novice, I've come to understand that what photographers like about .tif format is the widespread support of the standard that makes such files universally compatible (or now I'd have to say almost universally compatible).  One would think this is a problem that ought to concern both GIMP users and developers.

(12-18-2018, 09:34 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: ... Which one(s) is/are not recognized by DPP?

PS: You can use RawTherapee (and others) as Gimp plugins to have Gimp edit RAW files (but IMHO it's not a good idea, best keep Raw and Gimp editing separate).

If, by format, you mean the different compression options the answer is that I gave up on using compression because of compatibility issues.  Therefore the files I'm referring to specified "Compression - None".

My lack of interest in using GIMP plugins might be attributed to advice you've provided in other posts in the past.  My current understanding is that the plugin would have to perform at least minimal developing of the raw data.  If I were to try it I'd definitely want to know what kind of data GIMP was receiving.  Might it be in .tif format?  What precision?  If it is .tif why not create a file that becomes a known artifact?

Truth is, at present, I wouldn't be wanting to use DPP to edit a .tif but my desire to produce .tif is pretty much all about compatibility.  However, printing is something I am struggling with and Canon Print Studio Pro has a lot of capability that is missing in most other software.  I've also been using Picasa for printing which is a program that has some nice usability features but I'm feeling a need to rid myself of reliance on Picasa.

If someone knows of a good way to print, with my Canon Pro 100, I'd love to get some advice.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Other software unable to display .tif files created by GIMP - by ajax - 12-18-2018, 09:36 PM