Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other software unable to display .tif files created by GIMP
Further experimentation indicates that if I import the defective .tif file created by GIMP into Rawtherapee and do nothing but export it in the same .tif format the defect is removed and the file works fine in DPP.

Another interesting observation is that when I took one of my files that provoked this initial post (i.e., the problematic .tif created by GIMP) was about 80MB in size.  After remaking it with Rawtherapee the resulting (i.e., so far non-problematic file) is about 60MB in size.  Obviously if the same thing is only 3/4 of the size that is also an improvement.

I'm certainly not sure what accomplished photographers would think of making such a maneuver but even if thought to do no harm this would not be very handy.  I'd think that GIMP should prefer being handier to use.

(12-19-2018, 08:50 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Maybe check if other software is able to open a layered TIFF from Gimp? Is there a difference when all layers arethe sale size as the image or when one layer is smaller (and is not in the top left corner)?

Of course the amount of other software that I am able to test is very limited when compared to a fairly large universe that is needed to achieve compatibility.  However, I can confirm that Photo Studio 6 will NOT open the attached layered sample.  I often use GIMP to add a layer that is larger than the image with negative values for the offset in order to center the image within the new layer.

I'll do some more experiments to see what happens with same size layers as well as layers with same upper left position.  Let you know what I find later.  I could also try some text layers that reside within the image layer.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Other software unable to display .tif files created by GIMP - by ajax - 12-19-2018, 10:09 PM