Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gradient used to mimic neutral density filter along horizon
All,

After readying 10 pages from a search for "gradient" without finding something close to what I'd like, it's time to post to the Forum.

I've a landscape image. I want to simulate the affect of a neutral density filter. Steps fairly straight forward:

1. Layer 1 is base
2. Layer 2 (dup of Layer 1) is foreground edited as desired
3. Layer 3 (dup of Layer 1) is background edited as desired.
4. Layer 3 with mask; linear gradient applied to balance Layer 2 and Layer 3 across the horizon.

Applying the gradient, given how it works, creates a single, image-spanning horizonal at whatever angle, or not, I set. This is not optimal if, say, the horizon is a valley or is not flat. 

Q: is there some way of using the gradient tool such that it is not a flat gradient but follows some drawn line. For example, if I could pencil a line that follows the horizon that pass that to the gradient tool so that the gradient drawn is not "flat" but follows the non-flat horizon? I know I can actually draw a very wide brush using Hardness 025 but that does not come close to being as good as the gradient tool. I'd hoped that I might find "gradient along path" examples, but those are uniformly along the path and not across the path as I'm conceptualizing it.

Messages In This Thread
Gradient used to mimic neutral density filter along horizon - by gstalnaker - 12-25-2018, 10:33 PM