Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photo effects to mimic MS Word
Quote:Tried various backgrounds prior to exporting with variations on above, wondering if the photo has actually been cropped or just made transparent to match the background?  ....
I have just noticed the same with your Nissan photo, clicking on the image reveals the corners against a black background?

That is the way browsers workWink 

Your final image is a Jpeg - Jpeg file format does not support transparency - remember that for the following.

The transparency is an illusion. It is a mask that the application, could be image viewer, web browser, MS Word...uses. Gimp takes the current background colour (BG) for the mask. 
You can check this out if you remove any transparency Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel then make your (inverted) selection and cut or clear. The cut bits - the rounded corners will take the BG colour. White or Black - or any other colour set as BG.

But you need that transparency - the alpha channel - for that faded mirror effect.

1. Make sure the BG colour is White. Save your work as a Gimp .xcf in case you need to go back for more editing

When complete:

2. When it comes to exporting the image as a jpeg you can go two ways.
-- Put a white background layer (or even the color of your web page background) so the image looks how it will appear. Exporting as a jpeg will flatten the image into one layer without transparency.

-- Remove the alpha channel Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel before exporting.

This using Win 10 image viewer and the jpeg.

----
Edit:
I noticed in Windows Gimp 2.10 that the script I referenced, 210-effects-reflection.scm throws up an error message. There is still one function in there that was not updated for Gimp 2.10 (a bit strange since compat-mode works ok in linux)

The corrected script attached. While I am not a fan of a refection, it depends on image. This script applies a layer mask and does save a bit of work. I am all for saving a bit of work, providing the basics are understood.

Unzip, put in your user scripts folder.

Attached Files
.zip   210_effects_reflection.zip (Size: 2.84 KB / Downloads: 134)

Messages In This Thread
Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Green Pig - 03-06-2019, 06:23 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Ofnuts - 03-06-2019, 07:33 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by rich2005 - 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Green Pig - 03-07-2019, 12:58 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Green Pig - 03-08-2019, 09:14 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by rich2005 - 03-08-2019, 10:08 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Green Pig - 03-09-2019, 01:53 AM