Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newby path question
(04-11-2019, 12:11 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Maybe you have paths and strokes mixed up. You need three single-stroke paths. When done with one of the squares square, open the Paths list and create a new path (click the "document" (leftmost) icon at the bottom of the list). What you want is something like the attached XCF.

BCosell, I'm currently working on a project with thirty-some paths and understand your challenges. No squares are involved in my project, but many areas are defined by space between more than one closed path. For the purpose of simple explanation, let's say that I have mirrored crescent shaped paths touching at their tips. The center space is defined only by the two cresents.

To fill the cresents with color, I convert the paths to selections and fill the selection. For my purposes, I use a separate layer for each filled area to create a distinct object, though you could certainly do this on a single layer. The advantage of discrete layers is the ease of moving, transforming or duplicating. Once those fills are in place, I can select the center region with the Fuzzy Select Tool,  fill it on a new layer and have three distinct objects. If I had reason, I could convert the selection defining that central area into a new path on the Paths dialog.

As you play around with this and become more comfortable with selections and paths, you'll discover that you don't need to fill those cresents to define the center space. You can select both cresents, then inverse the selection to define a fillable space between.

If you have overlapping space, as in Ofnut's illustration, managing intersecting selections is another option. One of the delights of GIMP (among many apps) is discovering there are often many paths to the desired end.

Ofnuts, could you please define the difference between path and stroke? My understanding is that strokes are outlines formed from applying brush strokes or color to paths or selections.

Messages In This Thread
Newby path question - by BCosell - 04-11-2019, 05:10 AM
RE: Newby path question - by Ofnuts - 04-11-2019, 06:12 AM
RE: Newby path question - by BCosell - 04-11-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Newby path question - by Ofnuts - 04-11-2019, 12:11 PM
RE: Newby path question - by Ritergeek - 04-11-2019, 02:44 PM
RE: Newby path question - by Ofnuts - 04-11-2019, 03:29 PM
RE: Newby path question - by BCosell - 04-11-2019, 04:40 PM