Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut out a speech bubble from a transparent PNG image?!
Cutoutperson, I feel your pain. I've moved through more than half a dozen graphics programs, including Photoshop, myself, and trying to find equivalent tools in a new one is frustrating and time-consuming. But rest assured, with the exception of adjustment layers (which I've heard may yet be forthcoming in a future version), GIMP can do anything the others can, in some cases better.

You've done well to come here for answers. Folks here are amazingly prompt and generous about sharing their expertise. As you continue to ask questions and work with GIMP, you'll continue to discover workarounds that will allow you to do things you never imagined possible with pixels instead of paper.

Aside from anything else, I especially appreciate that GIMP is more than a mere piece of software, it's a community. Some may avail themselves more of the give and take on forums more than others, but this amazing piece software has been and continues to be developed and supported by volunteers. Yes, cash contributions help, but they aren't required, and at least most development and support time is donated. What a marvel! I just wish we could bottle the civility and respect shown on this forum and pour it out onto the rest of the web!

P.S. when you create a basic shape like a speech bubble that you like, right-click its path and export the path to a library of components. That can save you lots of time in future projects as you import and adapt the basic shape for other purposes. Also, if you find a (speech bubble) you like in print or another graphic, try this:

1. Scan or open that graphic in GIMP.
2. Isolate the part you want to use (for example, a speech bubble) removing extraneous elements.
3. Copy and paste that element into a new document in Inkscape, which will interprets raster input as a bitmap.
4. Trace that bitmap image.
5. Simplify the path and adjust as necessary.
6. Save the path as an SVG as part of a library of paths. I have a separate folder for this.
7. Import that path into GIMP any time and adjust to fit its new use.

Inkscape has its own learning curve, but its vector tools are smoother and easier to use than GIMP's. The two make a great team, much like CorelDraw and PhotoPaint or Illustrator and Photoshop.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cut out a speech bubble from a transparent PNG image?! - by Ritergeek - 04-17-2019, 01:35 PM