Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuzzy Select, Feathering, Hidden Areas Selecte
Hi,

I have been using GIMP for some time on my Macbook Pro. I use the fuzzy select tool to cut out the background of photos I take of coins so that I can show both sides of the coin in the one image with a white background.  I have an issue with using fuzzy select that would save me a huge amount of time, if I worked out how to use it better. Grateful for nay help.

I have 2 questions:

1.  When using the fuzzy select tool, why after feathering do selected areas outside the main selected area dissapear (screenshot 1) only to reappear when copying and pasting (screenshot 2 - circled). In other words, after feathering, it looks like i have gotten rid of the unwanted selected areas, only for them to reappear when I copy / cut from the selection (photo 2). If they were still selected, why aren't they showing as selected.

2. I struggle with silver coins as they are too reflective. Is there any way for the selection using the fuzzel tool to only include contiguous areas? Or is there a way to remove ALL selections outside the main selected area?  It would seem odd to me if there is no solution for this.  It is painstakingly slow to keep reducing the threshold and removing all unwanted selections. When I find myself doing this (usually with silever coins), I revert to the paths tool (also slow, but faster than using fuzzy tool in that situation).

Thanks, I hope to find out I've been using it wrong all this time and there is a better way to do it!

Peter P

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Fuzzy Select, Feathering, Hidden Areas Selecte - by peterpil19 - 05-12-2019, 02:44 AM