Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a Custom Pencil Brush include Transparency?
"So we have gone from a 'stamp' to really a paint tool.  It is a bit of a niche desire and for what end. I suspect maybe a pixel-art type game. I do hope the OP does find some application better suited to his needs."

It's "sort of" a pixel-art game.  I am doing quasi-realistic graphics in a very small window.  The scene scale is an oblique overhead view from very high up (above a forest, for instance and you see dozens and dozens of quasi-realistic trees).  As a result, of the large scale constrained to a small window, I need to milk every detail out of every pixel.  I can't have blurred, messy pixels caused by subpixel sampling methods.  I'm working with incredibly small details (8x8 pixels or smaller) as brush tips and I need to scatter these around with very fine control.

Rich used the term that the pencil tool "thresholds the alpha".  That's probably the best way of explaining the problem that I've heard so far.  That's exactly what it does, and that's not what I want.  I need full alpha support in the brush tip with exact per-pixel mapping.  Making the pencil tool support full alpha (Not thresholded) would get that effect.

At this point, I don't think there is any option other than to modify the source code for my purposes, which doesn't sound too difficult from what I was told on the dev list.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can a Custom Pencil Brush include Transparency? - by pha3z - 05-25-2019, 04:55 PM