Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new project is in inches and saving at wrong size!
(08-28-2019, 06:29 PM)Human3 Wrote: I create using the 'new' every time, no other images open in gimp.  it is set to 11x8.5 res 300.  and every time i did this i received the error saying the allocation for that size was larger than something.. so i went into preferences and changed the size up to 500 instead of the default size that gimp came with.  and when i saved that file it stay the full size, instead of being downsized to the 5.5x4.25 saved image, saved png.

The size Gimp complains about is the RAM used to edit the image. It's somehow related to the size in pixels, but is mostly a warning that if you add many layers you'll exhaist your RAM and things will get slow.

(08-28-2019, 06:29 PM)Human3 Wrote: Gimp did not let me override the default size of the image when saving to the .png file.  I think it should let me do that, or at least give more info in the error so you have a clue that the creation affects the saved png file.  Again im a human.. so gimp is not user friendly.  But i figured it out so now i can at least help all those other people i have talked into using gimp.Wink  Im not sure you understand what im saying either..  and i dont know how to be clearer except to show pictures maybe.

Nothing affects the size of the saved PNG. Gimps saves the file with the current image size in pixels, period. Letting you downscale on the fly at that point would be rather dangerous. We have seen many users showing up here trying to get help to recover images because they were a bit too hasty in their options when saving (2.8 introduced some safeguards). And yes, screenshots would be helpful because you are accusing Gimp of doing things I have never seen in 10 years of Gimp usage.

(08-28-2019, 06:29 PM)Human3 Wrote: I believe i understand what you are saying about how gimp translates images when there is already one open.  thank you for telling me that , so you can use that, if you have the size you want opened already then you can open a few other images and they will be the same size and you can work from there.  ok thank you.  I will get some pictures and post..

Please do. It's all explained in the "Attachments" link at the top right of this web page.

Messages In This Thread
RE: new project is in inches and saving at wrong size! - by Ofnuts - 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM