Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using 'Long Shadow' for 3D text
(10-24-2019, 09:25 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: Pretty sure there werent that many typefaces in the 40ies. At least compared to today.
Just imagine how many new fonts we got in the last ten years, just made by guys with a computer and software.

My dad was a decorator and was trained to paint posters for advertising by hand with a quill.
He had a big A5 cardboard folder with sheets in it that showed how to construct a specific font.

He would draw lines with a pencil, then sketch the letters and later trace with ink and quill.
It took days and one mistake and he had to do it all over again...

Sadly that folder is now in possession of a dragon and when i was younger i wasnt that interested in the subject, so all i have is that memory.
But i remember a big chunk of those typefaces were fraktur typefaces (blackletter/gothic), which didnt impress me very much at that time.

A lot of type from the 60ies to 80ies came from Letraset sheets you had to rub down on paper.

Well do I remember Letraset!--typewritten text inside + cardboard cover in Letraset rubbed letters... maybe there are some of those still in my shelves, and sheets lost in drawers.

So, the fonts in book covers weren't typeset? Most of the old ones I have seen look like vintage fonts/variants of--and tons of them, especially serif/fancy ones. Trying to keep abreast of them, I usually have some 360 additional fonts in my personal Gimp fonts folder--plus more + variants to be added through addonManager or NexusFont.

Messages In This Thread
Using 'Long Shadow' for 3D text - by carmen - 10-19-2019, 09:38 PM
RE: Using 'Long Shadow' for 3D text - by Ofnuts - 10-19-2019, 10:30 PM
RE: Using 'Long Shadow' for 3D text - by carmen - 10-19-2019, 10:56 PM
RE: Using 'Long Shadow' for 3D text - by carmen - 10-23-2019, 08:07 PM
RE: Using 'Long Shadow' for 3D text - by carmen - 10-24-2019, 08:31 AM
RE: Using 'Long Shadow' for 3D text - by carmen - 10-24-2019, 10:02 AM