Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I prevent the outline from dipping into an image that has gaps inside it?
Just posted the original. Yes, I used a path tool to get rid of the surrounding bubbles and then used fuzzy select to get rid of the color closer surrounding the snowman which didn't have bubbles. The gaps were indeed the same color of the surrounding, hence why I call them gaps. I just don't get why the outline (using the grow/paint bucket tool) would leak into them if I closed off the ends. I did that on those 2 sections I drew attention to with the arrows. But as you can see the outline color still went inside the image. The effect I want is for the gaps to be left alone, *not* colored in. I want the outline on the outside of the image, and uncolored gaps maintained in the image. I mean I'd accept white but since it would make no difference to be to have gaps vs white, since its background will be white, I was hoping for some way to make the outline effectively pass over those openings?

(11-23-2019, 11:53 AM)rich2005 Wrote: A bit short on how you obtained the selection Wink but it might go like this: Check on the screenshots as you go along.

https://i.imgur.com/2rMNTWs.jpg
Making the selection: For an image with a transparent background you might use Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to Selection

Stroking that selection either on the layer or on a new layer under fills in the small transparent areas in the foreground.

https://i.imgur.com/TRju1kd.jpg
You need to 'lose' those small areas of selection. One of the Gimp Selection tools is 'quickmask' Either Select -> QuickMask or shift-Q or the little square icon bottom left in the Gimp window. Three ways of getting it. That is how important it is. With the quickmask on transparency shows as red. Paint in the canvas with Black to make a selection. Paint in the canvas with White to remove a selection. The X key swaps FG/BG colours Assigned for the purpose.

With white brush paint out those litttle selected areas. Toggle the quickmask off. Now you can stroke the selection for just the outline.

Very interesting thanks!! A bit confused--
Quote:Paint in the canvas with Black to make a selection. Paint in the canvas with White to remove a selection...With white brush paint out those litttle selected areas.

What do you mean make/remove a selection? Which part? And if I should paint the canvas with white, why would I them go into the gaps with the same color they would already have become?

Quote:Making the selection: For an image with a transparent background you might use Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to Selection
Indeed that's what I did, I don't know if you can tell but the second image actually has an outline, it's a grey outline so it's very similar to the alpha channel color but if you look close you can tell the difference. But I didn't stroke the selection after, instead on a layer beneath the image I used the paint bucket tool. It is the same result as with your stroking method yes?

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do I prevent the outline from dipping into an image that has gaps inside it? - by marigolden - 11-23-2019, 11:59 AM