Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I prevent the outline from dipping into an image that has gaps inside it?
(11-23-2019, 12:44 PM)Blighty Wrote: 1. You have closed off some of the gaps, but not all of them. Make sure all are closed.

2. Make sure you are using the Fuzzy Select tool (not the Color Select Tool) to select the background.

3. The gray background is quite similar to the white in the image, so use a low threshold for the Fuzzy Select Tool. About 3.

4. The gray background is not a single colour, but has a slight gradient. So put the Fuzzy Select Tool into "Add to current selection" mode. Click the background several times (about 5 or 6) to get all the background selected.

1. The thing is I had tried it with closing all the gaps but it still didn't work! Then I had x'ed out without saving thinking it was impossible, then thought to ask here and just did those 2 parts to demonstrate how it didn't work.

2. Wait when am I to use fuzzy select? I only used that when I got rid of the background it came with. To input the outline I just put a layer under, right clicked on the image layer for Alpha to Selection, rt clicked image for select>grow, and did it by 1pixel, then switched to new layer to click the image using the paintbucket. Hope you can clarify at what point fuzzy select should be?
3. Ahh I just noticed when I select fuzzy select tool the menu at the right side including threshold! I presume that means it's more sensitive to color variation. The default it's on is 15. Any particular number or just play round with it?
4. By background do you mean the outline because I put it on a new layer? I don't know how it could possibly get a gradient because I just used the plain paintbucket tool. I'll attach the image here, maybe you could better figure out why it seems to be a gradient? ?

Thanks for your great analysis!!!

Attached Files
.xcf   red stripe snowman11.xcf (Size: 304.46 KB / Downloads: 150)

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do I prevent the outline from dipping into an image that has gaps inside it? - by marigolden - 11-23-2019, 12:57 PM