Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with certain type of image noise.
I run into images like this over and over and just curious if I'm overlooking a better solution to repairing them. I'm only dealing with anime images, so a heavy handed approach with filters can sometimes work without completely ruining the image, but I was hopping there might be a better combination of filters or techniques.

These images do not have the distinct moire dots that are able to be descreened with some measure of success. My guess is the original sources were scaled down before descreening and this was the result? In any case, has anyone else run into images like this, and how did you deal with it?

This is my quick and dirty heavy-handed approach. I'm not sure that any approach would be able to preserve the finer details, but keeping that to a minimum while smoothing out the hard specks is certainly the dream.

G'MIC:
smooth [diffusion]
smooth [bilateral]
smooth[guided]
sharpen [inverse diffusion]

These images are usually from very old anime, and there just aren't better sources out there. I'm doing my best to make some of these images somewhat presentable for media centers, as new artwork will never become available again. (and I certainly do not have the talent to draw something that could pass for the original) 

Any input is most welcome!

Messages In This Thread
Help with certain type of image noise. - by akovia - 03-02-2020, 09:54 PM