Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crop Canvas?
I'm looking for a way to use the crop tool (or similar) to only crop the canvas size and not the image itself. 

To explain a bit more, I have quite a few crop presets that have all the aspect ratios of the artwork I create. Most of the time I'm trying to compose an image to fit within the restraints of a ratio. If I use the crop tool and I don't get it exactly right on the first crop, I have undo and try again. Or I can use the better solution of dropping another copy of the image as another layer and then I can move the full image around as needed with the correct canvas ratio acting as a viewport.

I think it would be incredibly handy if you could use the crop tool to just crop the canvas to create a viewport at the preferred ratio, and leave the existing layer/s as is. (A modifier key for instance) I think this would go hand in hand with the new Out-of-canvas viewing and editing features.

Am I overlooking an easy way to do this already? 

I have already requested a feature to mask the canvas padding and might help to visualize what I'm trying to say.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4833

Just wanted some feedback before requesting another feature.

Messages In This Thread
Crop Canvas? - by akovia - 04-02-2020, 09:49 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by Ofnuts - 04-02-2020, 10:11 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by akovia - 04-02-2020, 10:48 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by ChameleonScales - 08-28-2020, 01:37 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by akovia - 08-28-2020, 08:56 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by akovia - 04-04-2020, 09:28 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by rich2005 - 08-28-2020, 02:51 PM