Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows + Wacom problem
Hello! First post.

I'm trying to track down a very annoying and persistent problem with GIMP in windows. Using latest most stable version. 2.10.18 I believe.

The problem is not really GIMP though. It is something to do with the Wacom tablet... OR... something to do with GTK or something which I know nothing about

When the problem happens, GIMP completely freezes. AND I get the same behavior with Krita software... HOWEVER... I found that I can still run Autodesk Sketchbook.

So here's a bunch of info.

1 - If I leave my usb Wacom tablet plugged in, things are normally fine.
2 - If I have to unplug the tablet, this is where the problem usually begins.
3 - When the bug happens, both GIMP and Krita will completely freeze up when I try to use the tablet pen. If I use the mouse it will still be ok, but the moment the pen touches the tablet it freezes.
4 - Other softwares seem to work fine all the time, including pressure sensitivity and everything.
5 - If I reboot the computer, and plugin the tablet AFTER windows is loaded, it will go back to being normal and everything works great (~~er... sometimes have to close and open GIMP again to make pressure sensitivity work... but I can live with that).

What is special about GIMP and Krita that makes this happen? They both freeze up "SOMETIMES" when something happens to the tablet. I was reading somewhere that GIMP uses GTK and GTK is a problem in Windows? Is it possible that both GIMP and Krita depend on GTK and that is why this is happening? If so, is there a way to restart GTK?

That you in advance for ANY INFO you can give me.

And here's some of my GIMP illustration if you are into that! https://www.bschu.net

Messages In This Thread
Windows + Wacom problem - by bschu - 06-13-2020, 03:17 PM
RE: Windows + Wacom problem - by rich2005 - 06-13-2020, 03:43 PM
RE: Windows + Wacom problem - by bschu - 06-13-2020, 06:00 PM