Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brush/Gradient/Swatch sets vs singles?
New switcher from PS here (CS.5), running on MacOSX 10.13 (I know, and old version, it has to do with my Windows BootCamp - long story). Point is, I'm a bit confused and want to be sure I'm understanding correctly. 

In PS, things like brushes, gradients, patterns, etc. are stored as sets. So a brush file (.abr) or gradient file (.grd) might hold a dozen or more brushes, or elated gradients and so on. These can also be loaded dynamically, from any folder, from within PS. 

From what I"m seeing, in order to use these kinds of add-ons in GIMP, I need to add them as single items? And they all get dumped in the application package itself? That seems....unwieldy at best? 

I have roughly 3.5 GB of brushes, 250 MB of patterns, a hundred or so gradeint sets with as many as 10, 20, or more gradients each. Imagining trying to find what I'm looking for with everything individually sounds hellish, and I suspect it would slow things to a crawl.

I also keep these in my Dropbox Folder so they get updated as I add new things, and I can load them into Photoshop on any machine I'm working on. I'm guessing having GIMP itself reside on DB and be run from different machines would play havoc with the app, so how could I keep my resources up to date on multiple machines?

Am I just vastly misunderstanding how GIMP handles these resources? Halp! Thank you all!

Messages In This Thread
Brush/Gradient/Swatch sets vs singles? - by Mithalogica - 07-11-2020, 12:24 AM